People with zero II! Let's convene and feel better together

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iris3

Meow!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I completed 16 secondaries by mid July, and yet here I am without any replies, whether it be rejections or II. Since I have been spoiled by the American society (especially Amazon Prime) to seek instant gratification and not virtues (yes, I'm looking at you and your cute cat picture @Goro), I am unsuccessfully trying to stay away from SDN.
Those of you who are also like me, come out from the darkness and let's be friends and support each other!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
High school seniors without dates yet for prom, convene here.
Lol
I am fully aware it's really early.
Still doesn't make me any less expectant. What can I do? I wanted to become a doctor since I got in a car crash at 7 and spent half a year in hospital. I have been waiting for this for so long.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Lol
Still doesn't make me any less expectant. What can I do? I wanted to become a doctor since I got in a car crash at 7 and spent half a year in hospital. I have been waiting for this for so long.

511/2.89.

Did you do a SMP? Did you apply to any DO schools?

Reactions: 1 user
Lol
Prepare for the worst. Hope for the best.
In other words, expect nothing and you won't feel disappointed.

3.91GPA 522 w/ 18 secondaries but 0 IIs reporting in.

Reactions: 7 users
I completed 16 secondaries by mid July, and yet here I am without any replies, whether it be rejections or II. Since I have been spoiled by the American society (especially Amazon Prime) to seek instant gratification and not virtues (yes, I'm looking at you and your cute cat picture @Goro), I am unsuccessfully trying to stay away from SDN.
Those of you who are also like me, come out from the darkness and let's be friends and support each other!

515 36 secondaries 0 IIs

3.91GPA 522 w/ 18 secondaries but 0 IIs reporting in.

Can the above and future posters please include a rough mention as to what type of schools you applied to: i.e. 5 instate publics, 3 OOS publics, 4 top 10, 10 top 25, 3 unranked, 5 DO...along with including your MCAT and GPAs (both), URM/ORM, male/female/decline to state/other

Last edited:
Can the above and future posters please include a rough mention as to what type of schools you applied to: i.e. 5 instate publics, 3 OOS publics, 4 top 10, 10 top 25, 3 unranked...along with including your MCAT and GPAs (both)
please, you know how to look up past posts from people by now to see this stuff, right? If someone starts a "support" thread they don't want the same interrogation that all the other threads have.

Reactions: 3 users
please, you know how to look up past posts from people by now to see this stuff, right? If someone starts a "support" thread they don't want the same interrogation that all the other threads have.

Not asking to enable interrogation. Just to quickly notice if there's a trend...such as no IIs because mostly applied to OOS publics or high reaches or unranked-with-high-scores. Of course looking up each poster's past posts is an option, but that's laborious and often won't result in the breakdown requested.

I think it's fair to request the inclusion of the info, and perhaps add that no commentaries be posted.

OP did you do anything about your GPA(posted 5/16)? What have you done over the last year to make yourself a better candidate? Where did you apply? Any DO schools? I know you weren't interested in DO last year but have you reconciled your thoughts about DO?

A 2.89 was too low last year and that hasn't changed.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

The cat approves o your avatar too!

Reactions: 5 users

Also known as the Dead Silence Squad in other parts

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
3.91/515, 38 schools, 0 II's, submitted most secondaries late July/first week of August. Applied to 17 of the top 20 schools, 21 non-top 20 schools (including 5 IS schools), have 2 secondaries left (1 school added recently and UCLA, which I just got the secondary for not too long ago).

I had a lot of time and finances so I cast a wide net with a lot of reaches. I honestly have no expectations for this cycle.

3.91/515, 38 schools, 0 II's, submitted most secondaries late July/first week of August. Applied to 17 of the top 20 schools, 21 non-top 20 schools (including 5 IS schools), have 2 secondaries left (1 school added recently and UCLA, which I just got the secondary for not too long ago).

I had a lot of time and finances so I cast a wide net with a lot of reaches. I honestly have no expectations for this cycle.
With your stats, I'd expect you to get in somewhere.

Not asking to enable interrogation. Just to quickly notice if there's a trend...such as no IIs because mostly applied to OOS publics or high reaches or unranked-with-high-scores. Of course looking up each poster's past posts is an option, but that's laborious and often won't result in the breakdown requested.

I think it's fair to request the inclusion of the info, and perhaps add that no commentaries be posted.

OP did you do anything about your GPA(posted 5/16)? What have you done over the last year to make yourself a better candidate? Where did you apply? Any DO schools? I know you weren't interested in DO last year but have you reconciled your thoughts about DO?

A 2.89 was too low last year and that hasn't changed.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I have improved the gpa and done additional extracurriculars. I also did apply to DO as well, as I did more research and got myself to acknowledge that it will also allow me to do the things I want to do (but that's another story). As much as I am hopeful, I am aware of the reality and am also preparing for an unsuccessful season. However, in this thread, I'm not looking for comments on how to improve my app or what my chances are.

This thread is for people like me who are biting their nails trying to be patient, to let them and myself know we are not alone. Because whether you have 2.89 (not anymore XP but still) or 3.9, you are still worried with no news.

Sdn is a double edged knife. It is a great place to get assessments on where you stand, but the stats driven and competitive nature feels alienating at times. I think the community can definitely benefit from a more supportive atmosphere.

So those of you who posted, we can all do this! It is painful now, but we'll all get through this!

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Whether you decide to relax or not, the fact is that the large majority of II are not out yet. So my suggestion is to relax ;)

512, sent out 30 secondaries from early to late August, still finishing UCSD and UCLA. No IIs yet... Seems like most of the schools are still stuck getting through the early to mid July people, yet there's a lot of people in this thread who submitted in July with no II still.

low gpa high mcat, 35~ secondaries between mid-july to now (~25 were done by early august), 0 II's reporting in. reapp with 1 II last cycle from my SMP school. I understand it is early but already have very little hope for this cycle. expecting 1 II from my SMP school and then silence everywhere else again. If I get an II from a school other than my SMP school I will actually eat my shoe

to the premeds in school out there: gpa above all else

low gpa high mcat, 35~ secondaries between mid-july to now (~25 were done by early august), 0 II's reporting in. reapp with 1 II last cycle from my SMP school. I understand it is early but already have very little hope for this cycle. expecting 1 II from my SMP school and then silence everywhere else again. If I get an II from a school other than my SMP school I will actually eat my shoe

you didn't get any rejections yet right? Keep up hope!

you didn't get any rejections yet right? Keep up hope!

3 MD rejections (1 was a T20, 1 was a public OOS @Goro told me to "forget" so that's my fault), 1 MD/PhD rejection, 1 MD/PhD soft rejection, 2 MD holds

and thanks, hopefully we'll all achieve our goals (or cognitive dissonance will match our goals to our achievements)

How high and how low are we talking?

3.2 ugpa, 3.7 smp gpa, 521, you can see my thread here

If you applied to 35 there are still those who must be reviewing your file carefully, e
3 MD rejections (1 was a T20, 1 was a public OOS @Goro told me to "forget" so that's my fault), 1 MD/PhD rejection, 1 MD/PhD soft rejection, 2 MD holds

and thanks, hopefully we'll all achieve our goals (or cognitive dissonance will match our goals to our achievements)

pecially with the mcat and smp.

Does anyone know the % of secondaries most schools have received so far at this time?

just wondering, what top 20 schools have started rejecting?

also OP, same boat. 519/3.94 and nada.... 33 secondaries complete around late July for most schools. You are not alone.

good luck friendos

hope to see you all on the other side

For the fellow Dead Silence Squad members, allow me to humbly introduce my music pick-me-up:

Supposedly it cured somebody's depression. Try to play the game of "spot the difference" if you can.

@Iris3 - with a 511/2.89 and the school list of:

Mayo
Georgetown
Tulane
Temple
Med College of Ga

Um... Mayo and Georgetown were throwing away money; that 2.89 is deadly and while you claim that it's a 3.9 now?

There is no way you can raise a 2.89 GPA to a 3.9 in a year. If the 2.89 was a pre-grad GPA and 3.9 a post-bacc GPA, you should specify that because the 511 + 3.9 post-bacc = good (not for Mayo tho).

I think your school list is way off ... you didn't want advice but one doesn't necessarily get to come to a forum, post and not get some freebies.:eek:

For the fellow Dead Silence Squad members, allow me to humbly introduce my music pick-me-up:

Supposedly it cured somebody's depression. Try to play the game of "spot the difference" if you can.

Needs more cowbell ;)

@Iris3 - with a 511/2.89 and the school list of:

Mayo
Georgetown
Tulane
Temple
Med College of Ga

Um... Mayo and Georgetown were throwing away money; that 2.89 is deadly and while you claim that it's a 3.9 now?

There is no way you can raise a 2.89 GPA to a 3.9 in a year. If the 2.89 was a pre-grad GPA and 3.9 a post-bacc GPA, you should specify that because the 511 + 3.9 post-bacc = good (not for Mayo tho).

I think your school list is way off ... you didn't want advice but one doesn't necessarily get to come to a forum, post and not get some freebies.:eek:

Please PM me or post this somewhere else. Not appropriate for the thread, though I appreciate your concern

Please PM me or post this somewhere else. Not appropriate for the thread, though I appreciate your concern
totally appropriate and no, I have no reason to PM you.

To be honest, the way you posted OP's GPA above seems really passive-aggressive and rude to me. Maybe she wanted to discuss issues without you waving her prior posts in her face. I think self-disclosure is better and letting @Iris3 post her own GPA/LizzyM would be better.

Reactions: 6 users

totally appropriate and no, I have no reason to PM you.

Not appropriate! Unsolicited advice. Plus, no one knows OPs whole story.

OP was very polite.

Not appropriate! Unsolicited advice. Plus, no one knows OPs whole story.

Okay, noobie, can I call you that, "Noobie?" see, poster puts things on forums haphazardly, with random factoids, then deletes them randomly and thinks long time posters won't figure out trollish type posts.:caution:

Totally appropriate. OP is trying to hide the fact that he/she applied to top notch schools and isn't getting interviews (like others) with lousy stats.

Once you click "Post Reply" basically, you are limited in what you can control as far as what people post ... so... appropriate. If she/he is afraid of being outted as a troll or delusional behavior, then one should not post on here.

Feel better now?

Okay, noobie, can I call you that, "Noobie?" see, poster puts things on forums haphazardly, with random factoids, then deletes them randomly and thinks long time posters won't figure out trollish type posts.:caution:

Totally appropriate. OP is trying to hide the fact that he/she applied to top notch schools and isn't getting interviews (like others) with lousy stats.

Once you click "Post Reply" basically, you are limited in what you can control as far as what people post ... so... appropriate. If she/he is afraid of being outted as a troll or delusional behavior, then one should not post on here.

Feel better now?

Feeling the same. I recognize OPs posts. But it's not fair to assume. The purpose of this post was for people to be encouraging. This is a tough process and success or fail, it's nice when some can stick together and support each other. In the end, we are on the Internet. We can do whatever we want. But should we?

Perhaps OP was trolling. Perhaps he/she aced a post bac. Either way it's irrelevant to the post. Plus, we just dipped into interview season. OP could very well be an M1 or OMS1 next year.

Best of luck to OP, you, and me this cycle.

lol I'm still working on secondaries

OP didn't ask for advice, clarified that she just wanted emotional support. OP never stated that she had a 3.9, she wrote that regardless of GPA all people deserve some level of emotional compassion after the amount of investment premeds make into the application system. OP chose to make an investment of time and financial capital into submitting her application to the following schools. She herself has her own reasons for her range of schools and the ones @Ad2b brought up hardly amount to 16 schools meaning it is impossible to infer what the rest of her school list looks like, much less criticize her for being unrealistic.

In addition, this raises the question of what is real and what is unreal when it comes to predicting future outcomes. Although project forecasts can be used to form an estimate of what ought to occur, these are merely estimations as to what should occur. To criticize on the basis of a poor projection model fails to take into account that the OP may already know the projection is poor, but hedged the risk with safety schools. The other side of safety schools are of course... dream schools. And you never know you will become part of the HPYS legacy unless you submit an application. A more appropriate analogy imho would be to compare a school list to being a mutual fund. You can't judge a mutual fund by the 3-5 riskiest investments within a 17 stock portfolio.

Last edited by a moderator:
The SDN "no interview" community got me through some very difficult times while I was applying so I'm glad to see a thread like this! I'm sure you all know this, but I just want to reiterate that it is still many months away from the point where you should be reasonably concerned about not having any interviews. It's a wild, wild ride so strap in and make sure to keep your hands and feet inside the vehicle at all times.

Reactions: 12 users
Rejected from Mayo-MN today

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Got a hold from here today, the first response I have received. I'm actually surprised and... somewhat relieved. I honestly thought the med school adcom would throw my app in trash immediately when they saw my gpa. I was constantly doubting my choice to apply, especially as I heard nothing from schools all the way through August.
I wasn't even planning on applying to Mayo until I started researching schools to generate a list. It became my dream school because its mission and values resonate so well with my personal values. I still know that my chance of being accepted here is next to none, but I'm still happy because their decision to hold my app tells me that they must see something beyond the numbers. I'm trying to see the positive side of it and think that other schools will also find whatever Mayo found interesting. I know you have been rejected from Mayo, but you also have holds at other schools. They must also see something valuable in your app. Whatever the outcome may be, let's try to be hopeful and do our best to "enjoy the ride," as @bananafish94 puts it.

also OP, same boat. 519/3.94 and nada.... 33 secondaries complete around late July for most schools. You are not alone.

Best of luck to OP, you, and me this cycle.

Good luck to everyone! May the odds ever be in our favor :D

Last edited:
Applied to all in-state schools, only applied to OOS public schools in states bordering mine, applied to lots of private schools. Completed almost all of my secondaries in July.

I'm not even complete at most schools because I'm still missing a professor letter and I only have one professor letter so far... so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

515/3.84 s~cGPA/lots of paid clinical experience.

Last edited:
Applied to all in-state schools, only applied to OOS public schools in states bordering mine, applied to lots of private schools. Completed almost all of my secondaries in July.

I'm not even complete at most schools because I'm still missing a professor letter and I only have one professor letter so far... so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

515/3.84 s~cGPA/lots of paid clinical experience.

Oh man. That sounds like a nightmare.
Hope it works out soon!

got zilch so far.
No interview offers, but no rejections.
Also, reading other people's posts in this thread with 515+ and 3.9+ just made me more depressed lmao

This is from r/premed. Not sure if I prefer a rejection or the continuous silence for now
6IUv8EhGBCHZ-xwrldLUQiX1JnOncKSETnf7gETywF8.jpg

Reactions: 11 users
@onyxbell I also saw that, but it was a poster who commented, "When you get a DO acceptance, but nothing from an MD school."

@onyxbell I also saw that, but it was a poster who commented, "When you get a DO acceptance, but nothing from an MD school."

Yep saw that too. Can't say I share that sentiment though. I'd be pretty glad for a DO chance.

just wanted to say that today I received my first II of the cycle (and first II between 2 cycles that I did not essentially pay $90k to receive) from an MD/PhD program. I have a 3.2 ugpa and zero peer-reviewed journal articles. if I had to give an "enlightened" aphorism I suppose it would be along the lines of - address your weaknesses, put forward your best application, and keep trying. best of luck to everyone else on this thread
i also won't be eating my shoe

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users