People you knew who got into med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

user003

lab slave
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I knew this guy in college, he was a cheat & a pretty bad one at that. We were in some science lab together & he pretty much copied my lab report one day when he stole my flash drive from the computer lab. He didnt get away with it since he forgot to erase my name from the document: he just added his name under mine. Needless to say, we both failed that assignment and I haven't talked to him since.

I just found out he's going to the medical university of the americas, and eventhough I realize that people change after their undergrad years & he could be a very honest and well deserving student, I can't help but be a little disappointed.

Have you been disappointed to learn that at a classmate got into med school before you?

Members don't see this ad.

I knew this guy in college, he was a cheat & a pretty bad one at that. We were in some science lab together & he pretty much copied my lab report one day when he stole my flash drive from the computer lab. He didnt get away with it since he forgot to erase my name from the document: he just added his name under mine. Needless to say, we both failed that assignment and I haven't talked to him since.

I just found out he's going to the medical university of the americas, and eventhough I realize that people change after their undergrad years & he could be a very honest and well deserving student, I can't help but be a little disappointed.

Have you been disappointed to learn that at a classmate got into med school before you?

Sounds exactly like the kid I knew who goes to that school. What was the undergrad?

I wouldn't be too disappointed.

More importantly, just worry about yourself. This kind of thinking can drive you crazy, and it accomplishes nothing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't worry too much about it. Those people only live like kings for the first year... lying and cheating always come back to bite you in the ass at one point or another. Let's just hope he doesn't cheat a patient out of proper care they deserve.

Sounds exactly like the kid I knew who goes to that school. What was the undergrad?

School or major? School was University of Connecticut. I'm not sure what he majored in

Barcu & CodeBlu thanks guys :)

School or major? School was University of Connecticut. I'm not sure what he majored in

Different kid then. This one got extra time on exams but wouldn't take them that day (for some unknown reason) and would always weasel answers out of people. He also got in trouble for asking a TA answers to the take home portion of an exam.

I always think about kids my age who are 1 or 2 years into med or dental school already. Then, I go into deep thoughts about how I wish I were them. Oh well, soon enough. =(

I wouldn't worry myself about other people's affairs... focusing on specific people will just leave you bitter or jealous.

I personally know one guy from my college with the same MCAT who got into Harvard Med... and one of my classmates from high school now has a JD...

Can't say I know any cheaters, though, but you should know that nobody is virtuous all the time. Maybe most people won't cheat on tests, but there's plenty of opportunities to err ethically, and you'll encounter these more during clinicals and residency.

There are a group of students at my school who are notorious (it's generational, the students tell their friends/siblings then they come along and take advantage of the system too) for cheating through the my school's undergrad and pharmacy school. It's awkward because students not apart of this "group" are aware of the cheating, and so are the teachers but the teachers can not catch them in the act. It's so bad my school had to beef-up it's academic dishonesty policy.

I wouldn't worry myself about other people's affairs... focusing on specific people will just leave you bitter or jealous.

The sooner you learn this lesson the happier you'll be. Do the best YOU can and don't be worried about other people's accomplishments. What does it matter if you couldn't have done any better?

This perspective becomes infinitely more important in med school, because there WILL be people that are leaps and bounds better than you.

The sooner you learn this lesson the happier you'll be. Do the best YOU can and don't be worried about other people's accomplishments. What does it matter if you couldn't have done any better?

This perspective becomes infinitely more important in med school, because there WILL be people that are leaps and bounds better than you.

There's also a good chance that they'll be more attractive, more athletic, and really nice people.

Grass is always greener; maturity is realizing it.

Members don't see this ad :)

You know, I've never worked so hard to be so average. But at least I'm passing, and that's all that matters to me.

There's also a good chance that they'll be more attractive, more athletic, and really nice people.

Grass is always greener; maturity is realizing it.

:confused:

You know, I've never worked so hard to be so average. But at least I'm passing, and that's all that matters to me.

Indeed.

Or just be the best. :laugh:
Oh... :(

People that I know::: I only personally know of 9 people from my high school/college mix that went on to med school...

Three of them were among the smartest people I'd ever met [great in elementary school, great in high school, great in college] - they went to my state's "first place" MD program (which I was surprised by, honestly).

One was a very smart in high school, but did just "good" in college. He ended up at my state's "second place" MD program.

Two were just normal guys in high school and college - nothing special in any way, shape, or form. They went to my state's DO program.

Three were pretty damn dumb and/or eccentric in my opinion (i.e. wore scrubs around her apartment and on weekends for fun, rejected X cycles in a row, talks with guido voice albeit german, etc.) and frankly I was very surprised to hear about their acceptances [all three go to same aforementioned DO program].

Texas?

I think Humble was saying that the same people who are also smarter than you will also be better looking and nicer than you (or so it seems). I can sympathize there. We had some people in my class who really seemed to have it all - very nice, smart, good-looking, etc.

I think Humble was saying that the same people who are also smarter than you will also be better looking and nicer than you (or so it seems). I can sympathize there. We had some people in my class who really seemed to have it all - very nice, smart, good-looking, etc.

The ones that appear most well adjusted, nice, smart and good-looking are the ones that are more likely to end up the ones carving you into tiny pieces with a scalpel.

The ones that appear most well adjusted, nice, smart and good-looking are the ones that are more likely to end up the ones carving you into tiny pieces with a scalpel.

If you're suggesting that they will be ruthless gunners, then you're absolutely correct......

Last edited:

Yes. There are the geeky, obnoxious gunners and then there are ones who are fashionable, at least a 7 in attractiveness (includes keeping in shape) and are helpful/polite who also happen to be getting As in their classes.

+1
but crap, the thought of Cole doing just "average" is terffying as I have always been just an average student now trying to get above average in med school. I think i'm officially a "gunner" because I want to get into a competitive specialty. sigh.

Andrew Baldwin -- Impressive stats except he's 5'4. That sucks. :(

Don't know him personally, but I know that he made it to med school.

kjeong.jpg

hardworker and a great person, he is currently at Mayo

People tend to have a pattern of behaviors that are not easily broken. If he is still a cheat, he will be found out in medical school.

http://andybaldwin.com/

Magna cum laude from Duke, UCSF med school, humanitarian, triathlete and ironman, physician, celebrity "hot bachelor," what can this guy not do?

EDIT: LOL but he's only 5'4" :rofl:

I hope you laughing because he did all those achievements despite his relatively small height, and not because he's a small guy.

Power to the short people :D

+1
but crap, the thought of Cole doing just "average" is terffying as I have always been just an average student now trying to get above average in med school. I think i'm officially a "gunner" because I want to get into a competitive specialty. sigh.
You're just ambitious. :thumbup: You're only a gunner if you try to succeed at others' expense.
Andrew Baldwin -- Impressive stats except he's 5'4. That sucks. :(

I hope you laughing because he did all those achievements despite his relatively small height, and not because he's a small guy.

Power to the short people :D
I actually couldn't find a verified source that he's 5'4", I trusted Wiki but every article I found says he's 6'. Oh well, guess he's perfect.

Change thread to: People I slept with who got into med school.

:D

I knew this guy in college, he was a cheat

I just found out he's going to the medical university of the americas

I saw one person respond with this bolded, but I'm not sure if the OP realized the implications.

User003, that's a Caribbean school. Even if this other student got in there, if he doesn't know how to study, he won't pass his boards or make it into a medical career, just waste a bunch of money. I'm guessing you're still planning to apply to US MD schools... You're the one ahead of the game; he's impatient and will get what he deserves.

You're just ambitious. :thumbup: You're only a gunner if you try to succeed at others' expense.

I actually couldn't find a verified source that he's 5'4", I trusted Wiki but every article I found says he's 6'. Oh well, guess he's perfect.

Yeah hes around 6' something. He spoke at SMDEP at the site I was at. He is a pretty strange guy in person. The girls loved him though.