1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

peoples' practice scores

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by sotired, Jul 30, 2006.

1. sotired

sotired sotired
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    i have been reading some of the "practice score thread" and others of people giving their scores....many of them make it seem like the average practice score on here is like a 33 or 35. is that for real? it's scaring me a little. since i'm just pushing 30, have three weeks left, but would like to be a few points higher on the real deal.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. harrypotter

10+ Year Member

Well that's your first mistake! Never look at other people's practice scores! :) Who knows if it's for real or not. Focus on yourself and don't fret about everyone else. And don't forget, for every 33+ there are tons of people who aren't there yet.

Now I need to listen to my own advice!

4. oxeye

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    SDNers misrepresent the actual population that takes the test - just look at the official score report thread from the April test. You'd get the same impression.

The people who post here are just more likely to do well and the people who score well are more likely to tell people about it.

Don't let it freak you out. The average is around 24 so you're doing great!

5. yumimartian

yumimartian yumimartian
    5+ Year Member

Hmm..be happy you have a 30 because many of us would be excessively happy to achieve that score. ie, me!

:p

6. Dr Durden

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Don't stress about others posting their high practice scores as people generally tend to tell only their success stories on here. Pushing 30 is a great position to be in. You have a few weeks left and can only improve from here!

If you still need reassurance though that SDN is a tad skewed above the average, check out the following results from April's exam: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=3837478&postcount=16

7. MahSpoon

MahSpoon is TOOOOO big
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think people are more inclined to post their 30+ practice scores than if they get low 20's

8. amoheban

amoheban Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    My theory is that a lot of people lie about their practice scores to make themselves look good. Looking at this website makes me depressed too, but hopefully my theory is right.

I'm also pushing 30, with my verbal really bringing me down. It sucks having to read people complain about how hard, say verbal 5r was(just read this in another post), and then say they got a 10!

Take everything you read lightly.....im writing this to chear myself up too

9. Broccoli

Broccoli Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I think you're talking about me. I'm sorry, I don't mean to make anyone feel bad. I meant to say that I thought 5r verbal was hard so I was glad I got a 10, meaning I thought I should have gotten worse.

I wouldn't recommend looking at people's scores on this site. It makes me feel worse when I see people doing really well too. I only log on this site on weekends because it would really bring me down if I came here every day.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE and keep studying because it will help!

10. pufferfish

pufferfish Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i second that... < 3 weeks left, not a 30 on my plate. Just keep plugging... :rolleyes:

11. sotired

sotired sotired
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

haha...i hope so! its funny...because my science sections are the ones consistently on the brink of a 9 or a 10, so i need to work on that a little. my verbal is usually a little better...so we're bit of opposites. any tips on how to improve science scores a couple of points?

12. AWhitehair

AWhitehair EM PA-C. MD wannabe
    10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I I captain pufferfish. I am in the same boat.

13. DrBowtie

DrBowtie Final Countdown
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    In general there are two types of people: The awesome, and the not so good.
    The awesome can be seen by the ridiculous stats these people put up. Sure there will be a few people who lie but I would say most don't. It's not like lying here changes the real score on paper. These people google and find the site b/c they are usually on top of things.

The not so good would be seeking out lots of help for their low score/low gpa, thus google and find the site.

I think you'll see most fit into those categories.

14. sotired

sotired sotired
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    i'm not saying people are lying, i'm sure they are doing well..but the consistent mid 30s is not characteristic of many people i know taking the test. so in light of the fact that alot of people on here doing so well, i am wondering what the secret is

15. DrBowtie

DrBowtie Final Countdown
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The secret is the type of people who seek out a website about med school admissions before they take the MCAT, are probably pretty on top of their academics and of course you will get more people to post good than bad.

More people post about acceptances than rejection. You should expect a random sampling of scores since the population of SDN isn't random.

16. Kikaku21

Kikaku21 Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yes. And of course, you are more likely to post the MCAT scores that you are proud of on your practice tests than that one time when you got a 17.

17. Moses MD

Moses MD I got a staff
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Basically, people do boast about their scores, and it is depressing. But its not all false, and you definitely have room for improvement and time to do it. Pushing 30 at this point, I think you will be fine when test day comes. As for my scores...lets just say I started very high with 3R, very very very low with 4R and EK1g, then high-ish(?) with 5R and 6R...but until test day comes and goes, those scores don't mean anything.

18. TheHunter

TheHunter Murdering the kitties.
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Those scores are probably for real. But how other people are doing should really be the least of your concerns right now (not to mention you actually have a decent score).

19. nutster

nutster Rarrr!
    5+ Year Member

Couldn't have said this better myself. Keep in mind that just over 31,000 people took the MCAT in April; as I see it currently, there are 51 people in this forum. Not at all a good population representation.

Focus on your own improvement; it's doable, and 30 is nothing to sneeze at!