people's thoughts about my situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newnimproved

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to know people's opinions about my chances of obtaining a spot in medical school next year. I am a biomedical engineering student at a top 10 school with a minor in chemistry. I have a 3.1 cum gpa and science gpa with a 32 on the MCAT (9 VR, 13 PS, 10 BS). I have done about a year of research, volunteered for about 350+ total hours, and work about 15 hours a week during the school year. I have leadership experiences and solid LORs. I feel like I'm an ideal candidate barring my low gpa. Thoughts? Questions? Concerns? I appreciate blunt honesty.

Members don't see this ad.

You might have a chance at your in-state medical school or D.O. school. Medical Schools dont care about work load or the undergraduate school you went to. Its all about the grades. 32 is a good MCAT score, but its average.

You might have a chance at your in-state medical school or D.O. school. Medical Schools dont care about work load or the undergraduate school you went to. Its all about the grades. 32 is a good MCAT score, but its average.

I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there. Workload plays a part. Someone who had to work their way thru school is going to see some leniancy on their GPA, granted it doesn't make up for a 3.1. You may need to do a post-bacc. Average MCAT nationwide is 30.4, so 32 is good, unless ur from California. Unless you saved some dying babies though that GPA gives you a slim shot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your MCAT score is fine, but not enough to compensate for the low cGPA at allo schools, difficult major and job not withstanding. Waiting to apply until you complete your senior year might be a good idea for you, if there's a chance that you'd get a near A average for the next three semesters, which could get your final GPA up to a 3.4. You'd likely still need a higher MCAT score for general purposes, but you might have a decent chance at your state school.

Last edited:
I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there. Workload plays a part. Someone who had to work their way thru school is going to see some leniancy on their GPA, granted it doesn't make up for a 3.1. You may need to do a post-bacc. Average MCAT nationwide is 30.4, so 32 is good, especially if you're not from California. Unless you save some DAB's that GPA is going to hurt you, though

Medical School would take an english major with 3.8 CGPA 3.6 SGPA over a Bio/Chem/engineering/physics major with 3.6CGPA 3.6sGPA. Assuming same MCAT and EC's for both

Medical School would take an english major with 3.8 CGPA 3.6 SGPA over a Bio/Chem/engineering/physics major with 3.6CGPA 3.6sGPA. Assuming same MCAT and EC's for both

and your proof is...:eyebrow:

and which admissions committee have you sat in on?

I would not for a chem, eng, phy major.....

eng, I would go even lower.....

English isnt a major; it's a language!! :p

I want to know people's opinions about my chances of obtaining a spot in medical school next year. I am a biomedical engineering student at a top 10 school with a minor in chemistry. I have a 3.1 cum gpa and science gpa with a 32 on the MCAT (9 VR, 13 PS, 10 BS). I have done about a year of research, volunteered for about 350+ total hours, and work about 15 hours a week during the school year. I have leadership experiences and solid LORs. I feel like I'm an ideal candidate barring my low gpa. Thoughts? Questions? Concerns? I appreciate blunt honesty.

OP, give us your home state.....

I still think you may need a year of postbac to try and get that GPA up to a 3.3/3.4. With that, I think you would have a MD shot instate def. except in Cali

My main point is that workload is overrated, and its really the grades that matter.

I am from Ohio. I am currently in my senior year and hope to finish with a cum gpa and science at 3.25. I plan on taking a year off and taking classes at one of my state schools to boost my gpa. The reason I mentioned my major is to demonstrate my gpa was taking a beating strictly because it is very difficult to pull of a 3.6+ in any given semester in it let alone a 4.0. Question to one common trend I have read. Why won't my institution and my major combined give justification enough that I can compete with the best of them? I understand that medical school committees look at just the numbers, but to tell me they won't take any of that into account scares me. Basically if true, I shouldn't have went to my state school and torn it up instead of challenging myself. I also feel my MCAT is not phenomenal but solid and proves I can handle the workload medical school has to offer. Why is there a need to retake? I appreciate everyone's commments!

My opinion

1. MCAT is fine.
2. I agree your major is hard one, but Medical schools play the numbers game...
3. You should try Wright State and Toledo med schools, or DO school.

i think you misunderstand, nobody here is suggesting a mcat retake, if it was me, i would suggest that.

waht they are stating is that your mcat will not make up for your gpa.
instead of retaking the mcat to compensate for gpa. they are suggesting doing a post bac.

Members don't see this ad :)
My main point is that workload is overrated, and its really the grades that matter.

False. Grades are more important, but if you've searched around, you'd see that adcoms (aka LizzyM) do notice the workload. If you took 12 credits every semester it would be looked upon negatively, unless you have some valid explanation that isn't "I couldn't handle more than 12 credits.". They need to know that you can handle the plethora of information in medical school, not just that you are capable of understanding it.

i think you misunderstand, nobody here is suggesting a mcat retake, if it was me, i would suggest that.

waht they are stating is that your mcat will not make up for your gpa.
instead of retaking the mcat to compensate for gpa. they are suggesting doing a post bac.
I didn't suggest a retake, but I did imply that it would be helpful.

AAMC says you have a 34.8% chance of acceptance. Maybe a bit higher due to your ECs, but I'd say probably still below 50%.

http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2008/mcatgpa-grid-3yrs-app-accpt.htm
If you improve your uGPA to 3.25 and get an MCAT of 33-35, your odds of an acceptance rise to 55.1%. With a 36-38, your chance is up to 61%. With an even better uGPA, it goes up from there.

dude, you got lots of time to improve your application.

take a few biology classes and retake the mcat to get a 35+

that is what i did.
i retook a 30 mcat and got a 37.
and now i'm accepted to medschool

I am currently in my senior year and hope to finish with a cum gpa and science at 3.25. I plan on taking a year off and taking classes at one of my state schools to boost my gpa.
Good plan. Please don't take more engineering classes. Upper-level Biology classes are the courses that will demonstrate to adcomms you can handle the type of classes you need to succeed in med school. Hopefully, they will be cheaper at your state school.

So my best plan of action would be to take upper level biology classes at one of my state institutions as a part-time student or would you say to go ahead and enroll as a full time student? I am not completely stressed out by this situation because it could be much worse, but I never imagined four years ago I would have had any trouble getting into medical school. I have worked extremely hard to dig myself out of a hole I put myself in the first two years at Duke and will do whatever it takes and apply as many times until I am accepted. This rough ride has taught me a lot and has helped me learn to face adversity and discouragement. I really appreciate everyone's posts and any more thoughts and similar stories helps a lot.

ion...

u're pretty new to the boards, and u still have a thread going with all your questions. isnt it slightly too soon for you to be overLY active on WAMC?

your opinions are greatly appreciated tho! :D

yes listen to stratego. mcat can be improved. if ure up for it.

Assuming you get all As (and I think you're sufficiently motivated to do so) and do a full-time, unofficial postbac for a year, you could get your uGPA to 3.4 (I am making assumptions, so this is a rough calculation). This GPA would put you in a much better place.

You are probably more of a math person than I am; do you agree with my figures? It could be higher if you had a lot of AP classes.

ion...

u're pretty new to the boards, and u still have a thread going with all your questions. isnt it slightly too soon for you to be overLY active on WAMC?

your opinions are greatly appreciated tho! :D

yes listen to stratego. mcat can be improved. if ure up for it.

Good one:idea:

Serious question tho, Bannie, I saw on another thread that you got a 39 MCAT, thats awesome. Honestly, do you have any tips? Cuz im thinking about retaking, but I cant get below a 34...that would be gay...

Assuming you get all As (and I think you're sufficiently motivated to do so) and do a full-time, unofficial postbac for a year, you could get your uGPA to 3.4 (I am making assumptions, so this is a rough calculation). This GPA would put you in a much better place.

You are probably more of a math person than I am; do you agree with my figures? It could be higher if you had a lot of AP classes.

I would do the yr postbac at your school full-time to get enough hrs to move the GPA...do the math and figure out what GPA you need to get at least above a 3.4.

I agree that your MCAT is good but you need a few more points with that GPA. I mean you have a shot; just not a really strong one.

Do you think you can score higher? If so, I would think about it.....

Dont forget to beef the ECs too!! Shadowing?

jdub. i agree=P but on a personal note, i am very very sure i would do better in engineering that in english. there is no way i would get above B+ for any english class.... lolz

its just too difficult to get A for any single paper, and even harder to maintain As...

ion: thank you. tips would depend on how you already studied for the first one. u probably know all the general stuff, like doing the practice tests...
i personally made an effort to review your own thread, and realized that u did not post your breakdown. i am assuming that u probably did well in verbal? probably 11 or 12? since u are a polisci major.

if i knw more i can probably say more... but we can continue this on your thread instead.

jdub:( if ure adcom, can u pls take note that i enjoy taking ocurses and learning things that interest me, and unfortunately they always seem to be hardass courses :( in fact i did 6 courses for each second semester of each year.
4-6 5-6 4-6!
i was trying 4-7 last year. but dropped one right on the drop date because my gpa was being smashed...:( hahaha my gpa was smashed beyond repair tho by then looolz.

jdub. i agree=P but on a personal note, i am very very sure i would do better in engineering that in english. there is no way i would get above B+ for any english class.... lolz

its just too difficult to get A for any single paper, and even harder to maintain As...

You are def not normal though....:laugh:

That's for us common folks......:thumbup: