Pepid for iPhone??? Still not out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I couldn't agree more--with this web-based nonsense, I think their product got worse with the port over to the iphone.

That, and I don't know if anyone else had this problem, but typing in it to look things up had incredible delays.

I had the same problem. I think Jeff is right - they rushed the product out because of ePocrates. I think they basically took an HTML "shell" and added a few menus, which is why the keystrokes are soooo slooooooooow.

Be sure to contact them (support email, not customer service) and let them know. The only way they'll fix stuff is if they hear about it.

Members don't see this ad.

The latest version has some improvements: the interface looks better, and works faster. Also, the drug interactions database is now native to the device.

However, the medical calculators are STILL web-based, meaning that they won't work at all if you happen to be in a place without a strong 3G signal or wifi. That's still a deal-breaker for me, simply because I'm running to all different parts of the ED all the time, and can't stand still by the window where the phone reception is good.

Even when you have a good 3G connection, the web-based calculators are slow to load. About 20 seconds or so.

I don't know if they're going to make Pepid for iPhone entirely self-contained (the way ePocrates and Medscape have with their applications), but until they do I recommend not buying the product. Or if you've already made the purchase, buy MedMath or something simlar because the Pepid calculators are currently useless.

I'm pretty content now with PEPID on my iPhone 3Gs. I found a big difference between the 3G and the 3Gs in terms of speed. It now runs as fast as it did on my Treo Palm.

The only thing still lacking is the calculators as peanutty mentions. I've solved this by buy Mediquations (mediquations.com). This is a calculator program that is cheap and very complete for everything I'm interested in. Plus, it helps that it was developed by a student from my alma mater (UTMB).

The user interface appears to by slowing improving and getting more "iphone-ish" all the time. Turns out it isn't all that easy to come up with a really intuitive and easy to use interface.

Hope this helps.

Take care,
Jeff

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the updates, guys.

I don't have an iphone... yet. I carry my Tungsten around, and the kiddos all want to see it thinking it's a fancy-schmancy phone. I don't know that my ED has that great of a connection, considering that AT&T drops my calls at two different places (consistently! ) on my drive in to work. So we'll see. But those of us watching, listeningm and waiting appreciate your commentary.

Oh heck yeah. I love my little plantronics bluetooth! (Holding a phone and driving is too tricky, even for this multitasker)

Just a wee thread-surection...

PEPID for the iPhone just released version 3.0 which now has native calculators. I've been using the 2.5 version which had native drug calculators but this seems to have everything nicely tucked into the app itself with no more need to phone home.

Take care,
Jeff

Just a wee thread-surection...

PEPID for the iPhone just released version 3.0 which now has native calculators. I've been using the 2.5 version which had native drug calculators but this seems to have everything nicely tucked into the app itself with no more need to phone home.

Take care,
Jeff

Now if Verizon offers the iPhone ...

I came across this thread while looking for another one. I wanted to update it by saying that PEPID now is fully iPhone enabled, meaning there is nothing else that requires an internet connection (updates not withstanding).

All of the medical calculators, not just the dosing ones, are native.

Take care,
Jeff

Considering buying one of pepid's iphone medical apps but is there an equivalent that is cheaper? I don't want anything with ads or pharma sponsored. :mad: