Pepperdine M.A. Wait-List Vs Pacific Psy.D. Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Epione K

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Like many others, I'm in a state of utter confusion. :p I was accepted to Pacific University's PsyD in clinical psychology program back in early March - it seems like a good program from what I experienced at the interview day, though I've heard some negatives as well. I was also accepted to Antioch University Santa Barbara's Pre-PsyD program, but I've decided to turn down that offer (really new program, not APA accredited).

I also applied to Pepperdine's clinical MFT program in Malibu, and I just found out (yesterday!!) that I've been wait-listed. I feel very intimidated going straight into a PsyD program without a Master's degree, so I was really hoping I'd get accepted to Pepperdine. Also - and absolutely no offense to anyone who lives in Portland - I'm from Canada, and I've really had my heart set on moving to California for years. Portland and the city of Calgary (where I'm from) are really similar. Location shouldn't be a big factor, but Malibu vs Portland....ya know. lol

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about Pepperdine's MFT wait-list - has anyone else been wait-listed by their Malibu MFT program? Does it seem silly that I'm hoping for a Master's program acceptance when I've been accepted to what seems like a fairly good PsyD program already? Is there anyone doing their Master's right now who wished they had gone straight into a PsyD program?

ANY input would be greatly appreciated. It's almost April 15th!! (Gaaack!) I don't know how long I should keep waiting for Pepperdine...

Thanks guys.

~Epione K

Members don't see this ad.

Hey!

Unfortunately I do not have much advice for you, but thought I'd let you know that I'll be going to Pepperdine for my Masters in September (though the West LA location-and just the Clinical MA, not the Clinical MA with MFT).

The funny thing is that I'm also from Canada (though from Ontario), so I thought that was pretty cool.

I mean, here in Canada, the standard is to do the MA first then the PhD (or PsyD), so I've pretty much decided that it's the route I want to do, and luckily my family is super supportive and are willing to help me out with costs, etc.

I wish you tons of luck with the waitlist, and COMPLETELY understand the desire to go to California. I go down for weeks every year just to visit, and I love it. I'm so ready to get away from the snow!

:laugh:

Hi sunshinejenn!

Thanks for the reply, fellow Canadian! :) So, question for you. At the Pepperdine MA program you're going to, it's the evening format, right? I was thinking about that too, but I figured that since I'm an international student and won't be able to work while I'm down there, I opted for the daytime format in Malibu. Are you a dual citizen with the States and planning to work down there? Are the classes in your program scheduled daily as well, but just in the evenings?

After reading your reply, I'm kind of thinking maybe I'll go for the evening format since I'm pretty much Californian at heart and, well...I need to go there :p. My parents are also really supportive and willing to help with the costs. And speaking of the snow: I'm not one to perpetuate the stereotype of Canada as the "Great White North" but we're having a serious blizzard today and I'm heartbroken that I may not be escaping to California after all. lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey!

Yes, it is evening format, with classes running from either 4:15-7pm, or 7:15-10pm.

I was thinking of maybe getting a TA position down there, since the only way international students can work is if we are working as part of the school (so TA, or some sort of internship affiliated with the school). Kinda sucks, but the visa process is a nightmare.

It's actually a nice day here in Ontario, with temperatures peaking at about 12 degrees celsius, so it's nicer than it's been in awhile.

Having said that though, I am so ready for sunshine and T-shirt weather. It's been a LONG winter, that's for sure, certainly one of the snowiest on record.

I know that in my admisisons package, they said that I only have to send the form in by July 1st to secure a spot in the incoming September class, so the waitlist thing might take awhile (unlike the doctoral students who have to decide by April 15).

However, I am so pleased with my decision, and I really think it's the right route for me to be taking. Come join me at Pepperdine! It'd be so exciting!!

What a small world! I am another Canadian who has applied to Pepperdine to the West LA program for fall admission ( still waiting to hear)
I have lived here in Los Angeles for the past two years after marrying my American husband and moving from Vancouver. I haven't come across any other Canadians in my stay here. Maybe we'll see each other in class!
Kat

Haha, it would seem like us Canadians cannot wait to escape the horrible cold and snow that equals Canadian winters! I have been longing for the sun to come out for at least the last 6 months!

SO excited for California!

Wow! Well though I am not Canadian I do have a really close Canadian friend and from my experience you guys are pretty cool! :)

ANyway, I was also accepted into West LA Psyc/MFT program. Hopefully you were able to transfer your application to the west la program. Looks like its really good and leave all day to do your studies and/or work if you need to!

Well good luck with all that and hope to see u in class! :)

Hello all,
I am so happy that I found this blog because I have so many questions regarding the evening format program at Pepperdine. I live in Texas and I have had my heart set on Pepperdine for a year now. I am currently studying for my MAT test. I graduated from University of Texas at Austin this past may.
I have some questions for anyone who is currently or has just been admitted to Pepperdines evening or day program for MFT or MA in clinical Psy. :
1.) I know this is personal but what was your GPA?
2.) What was your MAT or GRE score?
3.) When did you apply?
4.) How do you like the program
If anyone will please share this information with me i would greatly appreciate it!
thank you so much

Hello all,
I am so happy that I found this blog because I have so many questions regarding the evening format program at Pepperdine. I live in Texas and I have had my heart set on Pepperdine for a year now. I am currently studying for my MAT test. I graduated from University of Texas at Austin this past may.
I have some questions for anyone who is currently or has just been admitted to Pepperdines evening or day program for MFT or MA in clinical Psy. :
3.) When did you apply?
If anyone will please share this information with me i would greatly appreciate it!
thank you so much

Hello! I hope I can answer a few of your questions to the best of my ability.

1.) My psychology GPA was 3.8, but my cumulative GPA was 3.2. Lower because I also did a Biology major, which brought my GPA down quite a bit. But I graduated with a BS in Biology, and a BA in Psychology and Sociology.
2.) 1250 for my GRE.....ughhh hate those tests!
3.) I applied about a month before their deadline for the evening format, which was May, only a few months before I started school. I heard back from them less than a month later.
4.) It is only my first semester there, with only 2 weeks of classes, but so far, I love it! The Irvine graduate campus is conveniently located and quite nice. Four coworkers from my previous job also graduated or are attending Pepperdine programs at GSEP and have everything good to say about it. All of the classes are about 24 or less, and the instructors make it a point to learn everyone's name and get to know everyone in the class. It is obvious that they all love and are great at what they teach. So far it has been a great experience!

Hello all,
3.) When did you apply?
thank you so much

Hi there! I don't have time to right out a full post right now, but I am in the M.A Psychology program at the West LA campus and am now in my 3rd week of classes. I absolutely love it, and agree that the profs really try to get to know your name. The material is really interesting, and the people are great. I definitely recommend it! :)

I graduated with a 3.71.

I only got a 1090 on the GRE. I wasn't that into it (and had a headache when I took it so it was difficult to focus). The only reason I didn't retake it was because Pepperdine doesn't need your GRE score if you have a 3.7 undergrad GPA.

3.) When did you apply?

January 2008... got my acceptance letter in Feb.

I absolutely LOVE it!!! I attend the Irvine campus (because I live in Lake Forest) and it's SO nice having such an awesome program so close to me. I love the professors and there are so many opportunities to get involved (like graduate assistants, research assistants, etc). <3 for Pepperdine :)

thank you all for your responses you have been a lot of help! i look forward to applying :)

Hey everyone

Just got accepted to the MA program in Psychology. I'll be going to the West LA campus in the spring. Hopefully I can get into the Psy.D program afterwards. Glad to see that people are enjoying the program.

hey clinicalpsychhh are you in some of my classes??!!

oh yeah....i think i see you on tuesdays and wednesdays!

haha...small world!