Pepperdine M.A. Wait-List Vs Pacific University PsyD Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Epione K

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Like many others, I'm in a state of utter confusion. :p I was accepted to Pacific University's PsyD in clinical psychology program back in early March - it seems like a good program from what I experienced at the interview day, though I've heard some negatives as well. I was also accepted to Antioch University Santa Barbara's Pre-PsyD program, but I've decided to turn down that offer (really new program, not APA accredited).

I also applied to Pepperdine's clinical MFT program in Malibu, and I just found out (yesterday!!) that I've been wait-listed. I feel very intimidated going straight into a PsyD program without a Master's degree, so I was really hoping I'd get accepted to Pepperdine. Also - and absolutely no offense to anyone who lives in Portland - I'm from Canada, and I've really had my heart set on moving to California for years. Portland and the city of Calgary (where I'm from) are really similar. Location shouldn't be a big factor, but Malibu vs Portland....ya know. lol

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about Pepperdine's MFT wait-list - has anyone else been wait-listed by their Malibu MFT program? Does it seem silly that I'm hoping for a Master's program acceptance when I've been accepted to what seems like a fairly good PsyD program already? Is there anyone doing their Master's right now who wished they had gone straight into a PsyD program?

ANY input would be greatly appreciated. It's almost April 15th!! (Gaaack!) I don't know how long I should keep waiting for Pepperdine...

Thanks guys.

~Epione K

Members don't see this ad.

sorry this is coming on the 15th, but speaking as someone who done just that, getting a MA then going to Phd, I think that getting my masters was a valuable experience. In the two years I have grown a lot as a student as well as growing up as a person, which I think if I had gone to a Phd program right after I might not have had. What did you decide to do ?

Thanks for the reply, rcc328!

Well, I sent Pacific University my $500.00 deposit so I guess I'm officially entering their PsyD program, but I also asked Pepperdine to call me if a spot opens up in their Malibu program. I'd really rather get my Master's first, basically for the same reasons you mentioned. As of right now, however....I'm headed to Portland in August.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply, rcc328!

Well, I sent Pacific University my $500.00 deposit so I guess I'm officially entering their PsyD program, but I also asked Pepperdine to call me if a spot opens up in their Malibu program. I'd really rather get my Master's first, basically for the same reasons you mentioned. As of right now, however....I'm headed to Portland in August.

I know this is an old post, but I have an interview with Pacific University this weekend and was wondering what you think of it if you are currently a student there?

My main question is whether they are really that heavy on the research side? The Insider's Guide says they fall in between clinical and research, while most PsyD programs weigh more toward the clinical side. Why is this? Is it the classes, the dissertation? Do you notice it being really research oriented?

I know this is an old post, but I have an interview with Pacific University this weekend and was wondering what you think of it if you are currently a student there?

My main question is whether they are really that heavy on the research side? The Insider's Guide says they fall in between clinical and research, while most PsyD programs weigh more toward the clinical side. Why is this? Is it the classes, the dissertation? Do you notice it being really research oriented?

The OP's last activity was about two years ago...not sure if he will respond.