Peptide cleaving N and C?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrNeuro

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do we have to memorize the different enzymes (ie pepsin chymotrypsin) and what AA they cleave and whether if its on the N or C side?

Members don't see this ad.

Do we have to memorize the different enzymes (ie pepsin chymotrypsin) and what AA they cleave and whether if its on the N or C side?

I did memorize all the digestive enzymes, how they interact with the body (what they do). I do remember learning how they cleave the peptide (in UD classes), but I highly doubt you need to know that for the mcat.

While its probably good general background knowledge I doubt that you need to memorize such details.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, but maybe this:

Which enzyme does the pancreas produce: aminopeptidase or carboxypeptidase?
Answer: carboxypeptidase

Knowing the site of production, site of function, and general function is something that at least Kaplan does emphasize

No, but maybe this:

Which enzyme does the pancreas produce: aminopeptidase or carboxypeptidase?
Answer: carboxypeptidase

Knowing the site of production, site of function, and general function is something that at least Kaplan does emphasize

The pancreas produces aminopeptidases as well. I don't think this is important for the MCAT though. Just know that the majority of digestive enzymes are made by the pancreas and secreted (as zymogens) into the small intestine where they are activated by trypsin (which is activated by enteropeptidase).

Too much details for the MCAT. However, understand that cleavage specificity is due to the specific "pockets" and "oxy-anion holes" and such things on the actual protein.