Percentage Costs of Retirement and Insurance costs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DMD_DREAMING

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a business type question concerning the percentage cost of retirement and insurance on the bottom line of a dentist's take home pay. Is that normally taken out of the business overhead or does it come off of the take home pay after the overhead has been deducted? I am curious to see how much costs are associated with providing for your own insurance and retirement. Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

DMD_DREAMING said:
I have a business type question concerning the percentage cost of retirement and insurance on the bottom line of a dentist's take home pay. Is that normally taken out of the business overhead or does it come off of the take home pay after the overhead has been deducted? I am curious to see how much costs are associated with providing for your own insurance and retirement. Thanks,

i could be wrong..
but malpract is a cost of doing business (overhead)

..retirement is not a cost of doing business.

classics such as 'the richest man in babylon' and 'the millionaire next door' stress "paying yourself" 10% min of your income...
i tend to agree.

personally i'd put away 20% of your take home.
..but then again, my biggest bills are for corona and new chew toys for my pup..

Mmmmmmmm... corona.... :love:

The percentage of malpractice ins. is low compared to average production of 550k, the maximum I will pay will be 2900/year at least thats what they tell me now. Retirement is your guess. As long as you have your own practice and fund a keogh (and I think sep-ira) you can put away 40k tax free. So if you make 200k and put 40k of that into a retirement acct. you are only taxed on 160k. However, you must provide a similar retirement acct. for your employees. Or you can do a traditional 401K. If you provide healthcare ins. for your employees that is another matter altogether.