Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Percentage of SDNers Accepted

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Kuba, Jul 25, 2006.

?

What percentage of SDNers get Accepted in any given cycle?

1. 50% or less

13 vote(s)
    15.7%
  2. 65%

17 vote(s)
    20.5%
  3. 75%

30 vote(s)
    36.1%
  4. 85%

17 vote(s)
    20.5%
  5. 95% or more

6 vote(s)
    7.2%
  1. Kuba

Physician 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Attending Physician
    What percent of SDNers do you think get accepted to med school in any given cycle? Since the overall national average of people accepted in a cycle is close to 50%, I would put SDNers at around 75% because of the motivation and extra knowledge gained from SDN.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Robizzle

Robizzle 1K Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i'd say a kid who has stuck around SDN since freshman year can have a 75+% chance of getting accepted from all the knowledge he or she has gained.. for example, best classes to take, cool volunteer opportunities, research, types of LOR's to get, having other SDNers read PS. etc. etc.

someone who comes on RIGHT AFTER their app is submitted (like myself), however, is a different story. :D

4. defrunner

defrunner I'm Greased Up
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Do you mean the active posters or people that read SDN in general (that don't usually post)?

I was curious about this myself, because after reading through the various accepted/got off waitlist/etc. threads, it seems like an awfully high percentage of active SDN'ers get into at least one medical school.

I wonder what the various ad-com's that peruse SDN think of the average SDN poster.

5. Kuba

MDApps:
    Attending Physician

I think both groups ( active posters and people that haven't registered) probably have a large advantage

6. jackieMD2007

jackieMD2007 ***MVI***
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Do you think we might already know the answer to this question? I mean, isn't mdapplicants a division of student doctor network?

EDIT: MD applicants is NOT a division of SDN. :) Thanks Mushy.

7. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper Duffman in Disguise
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Anything above 75% is a bit delusional in my opinion.
    -Dr. P.

8. WildTumor

WildTumor Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'd say about 75%. Most SDNers are extremely solid applicants. There are some killer stats here.

9. Beau Geste

Beau Geste yah mo b there
    Bronze Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Once the interview season starts, a poll for accepted vs. not accepted would help figure this out.

10. AggieJohn

AggieJohn Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    threlveteen percent.

11. jackieMD2007

jackieMD2007 ***MVI***
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yes, I would venture to say that it is only slightly above the regular population (maybe like 55-60%), simply because of the fact that a lot of SDN'ers apply early and complete secondaries more quickly, and have information about interfolio, etc that helps them to get things together, sooner.

12. Kuba

MDApps:
    Attending Physician
    but what about the fact that SDNers tend to be more motivated. if you are motivated enough to do tons of research online, you have probably done some interesting things in your premed career... unless of course SDN is taking up too much of your time, lol.

13. jackieMD2007

jackieMD2007 ***MVI***
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah but even if you are motivated, you might have other things that are working against you that SDN probably can't overcome for you (late application, lack of clinical, poor interview, poor essays, etc).

Now. I have gotten a lot of help on my essays, by knowing what secondaries are out and what the questions are (so I can start working on them), by knowing about Interfolio (a lifesaver when a couple of letters got lost! Now I'm complete at those schools!), and by weathering out what's going on in this cycle with everyone.

14. mshheaddoc

mshheaddoc Howdy
    Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Its not a "division" of SDN but many SDNers might sign up for it.

I think that many people lurk and don't post as much, therefore I would think that maybe only 50% of SDNers get accepted. Many people you see on here only talk about their acceptances but that isn't always the full story as those rejections might be on the DL.

Why don't you start a poll whether they were accepted or rejected last cycle. Although its kinda late to start it. Ideallying starting in May/June would give that poll an accurate standing for that given application year.

15. SailCrazy

SailCrazy I gotta have more cowbell
    10+ Year Member

I'd guess that there is a difference between the "regulars" and the lurkers. Either way, I don't think there is a great increase over the general population.

Also, as this is posted in the pre-Allo forum, are you referring only to United States M.D. schools, or to any medical school anywhere?

16. Kuba

MDApps:
    Attending Physician
    i would restrict it to US allo or osteo schools, because some foreign schools require a pulse(and $) for matriculation