Percentage of Students that make it all the way.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

walla189

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been searching around a bit, but haven been able to locate the numbers of a entering 1st year student in the big 4 that end up graduating with an MD and gaining residency in the US? Seems kinda foggy out there.

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm assuming that's 20% for the length of the program dropout?

And I'm not buying the statistic 98% get a residency, although it does have the "eligible" clause. I wonder what that means.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can tell you personally from my class:

364 at Orientation
340 First day of class (yes people drop out after seeing Dominica)
175 of MY SAME ORIGINAL class made it to Miami
Pass Step 1????? You kind of never see most of those people b/c when they pass they do rotations all over the US. If they are not your personal friend, then you never know/hear of them.

At graduation: This year there is over 600--and that's people walking (some do not for whatever reason). When I was in my Second Semester in Dominica, my Anatomy Teacher Dr. Martin said he just came from the ceremony and only 230 people walked--that was June 04. The numbers are up b/c Ross stepped up admissions and more people are passing step 1.

Sorry, I don't know what to say about the stats on the website, I just though it would be helpful.

340 first day of class and 175 make it to Miami thats like half...is the curriculum that hard? I know this is med school and its supposed to be hard but I'm trying to get a feel for *how* hard it is...if you study say 5 hours a day every weekday and maybe 7 hours saturday and sunday would you get a decent gpa? If someone could maybe chime in and give some examples it would let me get a feel for the difficulty, which would greatly help. Thanks in advance.

Yes it is like half. But when you are in orientation you think to yourself: Why on earth did Ross admit this freak?

The amount of hours a day you mentioned are plenty (and if you can maintain that pace without burning out then you are already in the top of the class--unless you are not studying correctly for those 5 hours a day).

In the end, you can't really care about the numbers--50% don't make it because they fail. Flat out, and you will hear them complain about Ross having a personal vendetta for them. Just focus on yourself and you should be fine.

Let's hope other's post their strategies for you, but to be honest, most Rossies hang out at valuemd.

340 first day of class and 175 make it to Miami thats like half...is the curriculum that hard? I know this is med school and its supposed to be hard but I'm trying to get a feel for *how* hard it is...if you study say 5 hours a day every weekday and maybe 7 hours saturday and sunday would you get a decent gpa? If someone could maybe chime in and give some examples it would let me get a feel for the difficulty, which would greatly help. Thanks in advance.

Medical school is hard anywhere and it does not really vary to a high degree between schools (US, Carib, Euro..etc), what does vary is the applicants, and the carrib often admit students that don't belong in any medical school at all, so you get the high drop out rates that the previous post stated. If you belong in medical school, you will pass. If you have no idea how to study or lack the motivation/skill, then you will fail.

And I'm not buying the statistic 98% get a residency, although it does have the "eligible" clause. I wonder what that means.

98% of those who pass step 1 get residencies. That sounds right. Not 98% of of students.

The real question should be; how much time did you spend PER DAY studying in undergrad?

I can honestly say that if I managed to find the time to study 2 hours (total) outside of class-time then I would earn at least a B+ in all of my courses. Obviously medical school will require much more studying but more tha 6 hours per day with the proper studying schedule is overkill.

"Eligible" means people that passed Step I and Step II, got their token, have their Visa's in order etc (there are a lot of Canadian and foreign students at Ross too--I don't know, about 70/30 for US citizens vs not). I do believe that 96% (the website says 96%) of people who have done all of the above get a residency spot--absolutely.

Well that's great news, I had the impression that only 60-70% of big 4 received residency offers.