SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Perceptions of veterinary medicine that drive us nuts!

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by pressmom, Apr 16, 2007.

1. pressmom

pressmom Third year! 2+ Year Member

Apr 4, 2007
    So it drives me nuts when people think:

Vet school is just a simple two year jaunt that doesn't really count as school. (I can't tell you how many people I've had to explain that it's just like medical school--4 years, tough rotations, long nights studying for hard classes!)

Vets are not as competent or well-trained as human docs. (Yeah, they should try working with patients that don't talk, hide how they're feeling,
    etc. And don't even get me started on the differences between species!)

Vets can't do surgeries, place sutures, rx meds, etc. as well as MDs.

Maybe I've just had a bad day at work or heard these too many times....anyone feel like I do?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. nessaf7

nessaf7 Nessa 7+ Year Member

May 22, 2006
    One that I got the other day (I'm hopefully going to Edinburgh) "Oh, so you couldn't get into any other schools?"

Not exactly to do with vet med as a profession, but I'm sure a lot of the people going to international schools get this!

4. birdvet2006

birdvet2006 Glasgow c/o 2006 5+ Year Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Portsmouth, NH
    Oh yes - that one KILLS me! I never even applied to US schools. I liked the idea of an education abroad, for the same reasons I'm still happy that I got one! I think the problem is that some people would *never* consider going overseas because they think the US is the best at everything.

5. Hollycozza

Hollycozza 5+ Year Member

Oct 30, 2006
    New South Wales
    "Your services are so expensive"

"Vets are sooooo well paid"

6. ratbandit

ratbandit 2+ Year Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Some pre-vet that I don't even know stopped me in the hallway and asked me how my apps to scotland went (I don't even know how he knew I applied). I told him I got into Glasgow and Edinburgh and he says "oh so then maybe I WILL apply there as a back up since it's easier" implying that since I got in it must be easy?! I'm like, dude, I had a 3.8, decent GRE scores, and a well rounded experience, I wouldn't know if it's easy to get in because I wasn't an unqualified applicant! AHHH

7. philomycus

philomycus The Tree Rat 7+ Year Member

Aug 21, 2006
    In an oak tree...
    Plus for all you Gray's fans out there, McDreamy beat McVet at winning over Meredith.

What was Meredith thinking. I was so for McVet :D

(((((Just a fun reply as I am obsessed watching my cell phone as my students take their ecology exam......)))))

and BTW, any replies to the OK thread that bumps it to the top makes me want to have an aneurism

8. Pennymare

Pennymare Ohio State Class of 2011 2+ Year Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I love how some owners think that you should be able to just spit out a correct diagnosis like a computer. This especially applies to lame horses :) They almost seem disappointed when you tell them their horrific injury is just an abscess.

9. wildfocus

wildfocus DVM/PhD student 5+ Year Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Rocky Mountain High
    "my vet just wants to charge me more money"

oh, how that pisses me off (even when friends say it!)

10. pressmom

Apr 4, 2007
    I hate it that people think there are "easy" or "cheap" pets. Fish feel pain and aquariums are expensive to properly keep up. Rabbits are notorious for bladder sludge and stones. Rats get cancer. Birds pluck themselves bare if their husbandry is poor. And lizards can lose tails with poor husbandry. And when I was at the exotic pet vet, people were sometimes unwilling to treat these conditions or even give simple pain meds and antibiotics. It killed me every time I saw a tail cut off awake or teeth trimmed awake because owners were too dumb to think it was painful.

11. critterfixer

critterfixer Veterinarian 2+ Year Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Tennessee
    Why in the world would the veterinarian consent to do this? The vet I've worked with would refuse.

12. KittenKiller

KittenKiller chop suey 7+ Year Member

Jan 25, 2007
    Kennett Square, PA
    I dont see what the big deal is. Ive never seen any evidence that these practices have any long term effects on a dog's psyche. Its no worse than circumsizing a human baby or piercing a kid's ears when they're very young.

Seriously, we inflict so much worse suffering on the animals we eat, theres no reason to get worked up over docked tails or clipped ears.

13. rexosaurus

rexosaurus CSU PVM c/o 2012 2+ Year Member

Feb 9, 2007
    Ft. Collins, CO
    "How can you want to be a vet and do research?"

are you kidding me?

14. dyachei

dyachei vet robot pirate zombie Administrator Veterinarian 10+ Year Member

Mar 9, 2007
    This came from the vegan that lived next door to me freshman year: "How can you want to be a vet and still eat meat?"

(note: I'm not against vegetarians or anything, I just prefer my diet to include meat.)

Also, back to previous comments about vet salaries, I keep getting that at least it will be easy to pay off my loans when I'm done with school. And this is coming from my family, too.:(

15. rexosaurus

Feb 9, 2007
    Ft. Collins, CO

mine came from my brother!

16. rexosaurus

Feb 9, 2007
    Ft. Collins, CO
    oops, double posting :)

17. pressmom

Apr 4, 2007
    That is a good point, but while food animals suffer to a degree, constantly stressed animals don't taste very good or have very good production gains. (At some point I'll post the story of the deer that was hit by a car in front of the vet I used to work at.) And, btw, I have castrated, cut teeth on, and docked tails of awake baby pigs. And I still eat meat. I guess I hold pet owners to a different standard. Hypocrite? Probably.

Also, speaking of hypocrites and going a bit off topics, I can't stand it when people get grossed out by what really happens to food animals, but still go and get that good ol' styrofoam package.

18. AuburnPreVet

AuburnPreVet AU CVM Class of 2011 5+ Year Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Podunk
    There is a bit of a difference...

In livestock production the stress placed on the animals is not for aesthetic reasons, as tail docking a puppy typically is... which makes it that much worse.

19. ri23

ri23 OSU CVM Class of 2011 7+ Year Member

Nov 28, 2006
    I don't know about tail docking and ear clipping, but the removal of the dew claws is painful for the pups, but it is done on around their 3rd day of life. The puppies get over it very fast, though we definitely took our dog out of the room when it happened as she was getting too upset at the noises.

20. thesonofdarwin

thesonofdarwin UPenn 2012 2+ Year Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Pennsylvania
    Oh oh, mine's just the opposite:

"How can you favor animal rights and want to go to Vet School? Do you KNOW what they do to animals there?"

-> Followed my our new neurologist prof. thinking she had the right to lay into me including how she would have wrote me a negative recommendation had I asked her knowing that's where my values lie. Reporting her to her superiors seems to have kept her away from me. Did she think I intended to waste 4 years of my undergrad, more years gaining experience, and then thousands of dollars to attend Vet. school to.... what? Burn down a lab? Set lab animals free to go die out in nature/city? :confused:

I get a form of that one too... "Oh, so you're a vegetarian now because you are going to be a Vet?"

Reponse: *slams head off sharp object*

21. TheDuck

TheDuck Featherbrain 2+ Year Member

Apr 12, 2007
    I was expecting a lot of what is written on this thread when I started telling people that I wanted to go to vet school, but almost everyone has responded positively. One of the surgeons I work with (I'm a surgical PA) was so happy, because he has told me for 2.5 years to be a vet instead of an MD.

The only negative things I have heard have been people saying they have no clue why someone would pay money to have surgery on their animals instead of just euthanising them. It breaks my heart everytime I hear it. :(

22. Hollycozza

Hollycozza 5+ Year Member

Oct 30, 2006
    New South Wales
    Tail docking dogs is illegal in Australia now! :clap:

I'm glad as now people wont be able to ask me to do it :D

23. thomphea

thomphea 2+ Year Member

Mar 15, 2007
    This one makes me want to scream!
    "Oh, so you get to play with puppies all day"

Yes, that is all I do...play with puppy after puppy...

24. 4theanimals

4theanimals 2+ Year Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Fort Collins, CO
    I unfortunately have to the second the vets just out to cheat me mentality. This comes not only from one member of my family, but two. Ugh! It's like you do understand what I want to do for a living.

25. bakaduin

bakaduin UF CVM Class of 2012 2+ Year Member

Jan 9, 2007

Ive heard that one a lot too. The funny thing is, being that my major is Animal Science, and it is mostly focused on the food animal industry it makes me actually MORE inclined to eat meat. Because now that I'm actually educated on the subject, I know that the horror stories that people talk about the food industry is really exceptions to the rule and not the norm. I know that stressed animals produce tough meat and so the companies try to keep their animals as unstressed as possible. ETC ETC!

26. KittenKiller

KittenKiller chop suey 7+ Year Member

Jan 25, 2007
    Kennett Square, PA
    If by horrors you mean things like pictures out of a PETA magazine, I think youre right. But if you mean feedlots with 10,000 cows in stalls eating grain and antibiotics out of conveyor belts, I think thats actually quite common. Quite a large portion of the country's beef is produced in places like this.

Anyway, this reminded me of a question I'd been wondering about. Its pretty common practice to give cattle confined in tight areas antibiotics to prevent the spread of disease. How come this practice is perfectly legit but if I go to the doctor with what I know to be strep throat they still make me wait 3 days to get the results of the culture back before they'll give me antibiotics?

27. Moonpaw

Moonpaw 2+ Year Member

Sep 12, 2006
    NYC
    I'd actually have to say the "So you'll be making lots of money!" and "You'll be getting an MMD, then-"Money Minting Degree." Or at least so all my dad's doctor friends say.

I swear, if I have to heard that ONE MORE TIME, I will FLIP. Or ask them if they went into medicine for the money, because they're making more now than I probably ever will.

28. chris03333

chris03333 Veterinarian 7+ Year Member

Jan 21, 2005
    You have to realize that the a lot of people equate animal "rights" as meaning that we should not have animals as pets. You will have lots of discussions on animal rights and animal welfare in vet school.

29. RazorDoc2010

RazorDoc2010 Mizzou 2011 2+ Year Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Missouri
    whoa, whoa, whoa...you mean we're not going to get to play with puppies all day???? ;)

heh, I get that one all the time too!

30. sms25

sms25 Junior Member 5+ Year Member

Jan 18, 2006
    I have had to explain to so many people that vet school is not a 2 year degree. You're a doctor when you're done! And I've been asked (a few times) "Why didn't you want to become a real doctor?" grrr...

31. birdvet2006

birdvet2006 Glasgow c/o 2006 5+ Year Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Portsmouth, NH
    Not in the UK. Go to school in the UK and you won't find hormone implants or growth-promoting antibiotics (illegal). But the meat doesn't taste as good, IMO. :) Also going to school in the UK, you are required (in order to graduate) to spend 1 week in the abattoir (slaughterhouse) to learn what vets do there and how important their role is. This is why *I* say "how can you be vegatarian or pro-animal rights and want to go to vet school?" I knew a couple classmates that just couldn't handle things like that...but somehow, they managed to get through it (perhaps they faked the form?).

32. 2011vet

2011vet 2+ Year Member

Apr 1, 2007
    Gainesville, Fl

Resistant bacteria are a huge problem in human medicine. Thankfully, some doctors are doing the responsible thing and testing bacteria for resistance before handing out antibiotics. The feedlot operators do it because they can. Big lobby groups (read: big pharma) resist, quite successfully, any attempt to regulate antibiotic use in agriculture. Unfortunately, it seems that this practice is contributing to bacterial resistance. :thumbdown:

33. StealthDog

StealthDog U of MN 2010 Veterinarian 7+ Year Member

Feb 17, 2006
    "Oh, is that an online course?"

I didn't get that, but one of my classmates did...

I agree with the "vets are in it for the money" thing- what, because we want to get paid to take care of your animal? How does that make us worse than your mechanic, dry cleaner, chiropractor, or anyone else who you pay to do things? No, I can't make your pet better for free, not because I'm in it for the money, but because I NEED TO EAT.

34. nessaf7

nessaf7 Nessa 7+ Year Member

May 22, 2006

I just want to say... Being vegetarian doesn't always mean you are also pro animal rights, there are other reasons for being vegetarian! I am a vegetarian but I have also worked on farms and been to an abattoir, and I support their work. There is a good way to eat meat, but right now I am healthy as a vegetarian so I have no reason to change!

35. pressmom

Apr 4, 2007
    I've gotten this before. So what if I took 3 online courses and got As in them. They're just as hard because you have to self-pace. If you don't keep up, you fail.

36. bakaduin

Jan 9, 2007
    Yeah Im talking about the PETA people and crazy animal activists and such.

37. theunraveler

theunraveler Member 10+ Year Member

Aug 22, 2004
    there there, we all chose this profession for a reason. i believe all vet students could easily go to med school if they want but BY CHOICE we came to do vet instead. so i dun think u shld be upset with ppl's perception of veterinary medicine since we all chose to go into this line then we would have to be prepared for the ups n downs of this job.

the general populace are idiots anyway, fed too much on cheap shows like gray's anatomy, scrub, house etc. i refuse to watch these shows becoz i feel it cheapens the medical profession and creates a false impression of it.

if ppl have such misunderstanding on vets then i think u shld speak with them and clear up the misunderstandings...

38. InfiniVet

InfiniVet 5+ Year Member

Oct 17, 2006
    College Station, Texas
    Why do you wanna stick your hand up a cow's @ss all day?

I gently explain that theres just a tad bit more to the profession than that.

39. bakaduin

Jan 9, 2007
    But heck if that was the whole profession Id still do it!

40. rexosaurus

Feb 9, 2007
    Ft. Collins, CO
    hahahaha!!! me too!

41. thesonofdarwin

Sep 17, 2006
    Pennsylvania
    I look forward to it. I don't quite understand why some people have to automatically go to extremes when you talk about (semi)controversial issues. Do I favor animal rights? Sure. Am I in favor of endless animal rights? No. Am I in favor of human rights? Sure. Am I in favor of endless human rights? Hell no.

That's human nature, though. Describe the many by the few; the majority by the extremists. Generalize, stereotype, etc., etc.
    _______

I do hate the Vet. salary vs. charge perceptions though. My family does it all the time. Complain about a vet bill (which I pay, as they are my animals) and then get all cheery saying I'm going to be rich. "Oh you'll be able to take care of us after you graduate!" Ha - Yeah ma, I'll get right on that as soon as I pay off my 30+ years of debt.

42. eventualeventer

eventualeventer Medical Tire Fire 10+ Year Member

Mar 10, 2007
    That's right, there's more to it. I'm going to school so I can spend all day sticking my arm up a horse's @ss! :laugh:

43. chris03333

chris03333 Veterinarian 7+ Year Member

Jan 21, 2005
    The person you described offending you was a neurologist. It is pretty safe to say that person probably has done research. Any person in that position relates the words "animal rights" with the people that send them death threats etc. So when you say you believe in animal rights you automaticaly place yourself in the extremeist category. Now if you were to say that you believe in animal welfare to the same person, they would not get all defensive. That is because the animal welfare organizations are not known to do the things that the animal rights groups do. Just something to think about for you. If you knew of a group whose beliefs would seriously harm you, you might react to someone telling you they are a member of or have the same beliefs as that group.

44. thesonofdarwin

Sep 17, 2006
    Pennsylvania
    No no, I place myself in with the majority of people who would like to see animal welfare taken one step further. She (as do others) placed me in the same category as the extremists. Should I repay in kind? There are plenty of cases of extreme animal cruelty done by neurological research. Therefore, this neurologist tortures animals? Seems kinda silly when you turn the same logic around.

But, I've dealt with exactly what you described for years. It won't change, not that I expect it to. It's easiest to place those one is opposed to or opposite of into extreme categories. Makes it easier to justify the animosity towards them then.

45. 4theanimals

4theanimals 2+ Year Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Fort Collins, CO
    And I have to add I'm right there with you sonofdarwin. I'm about tired of this animal rights versus animal welfare crap. It's become a hot button issue for me. These terms are fairly recent developments. There are now these two narrow definitions that everyone supposedly fits into. Animal welfare means "dedicated to the prevention of cruelty, neglect and abuse to animals". And everytime I hear the clarification that this is like ASPCA who does not have any stance on research. Animal rights believe animals have right and seems to now be defined as PETA and Animal Liberation Front. Well, I can tell you that most of the people I know fall somewhere in between. Even PETA itself does some incredibally nutty things but they have also succeeded in getting large companies to use more humane practices in sourcing their meat.

I don't want to charge into labs destroy equipment and set animals free. BUT does that mean I only care if puppies and kitties are getting beaten. No. Even my freakin' psych class is using these narrow definitions. I'm not usually a conspiracy theorist but boy this sure feels like an attempt to get a large number of people into the "animal welfare" category, because they would be ashamed to fit in the animal rights camp. Ugh!:mad:

46. medtechv79

medtechv79 Senior Member 5+ Year Member

Apr 21, 2004

ohhh goosh! that's me! =) I think its bad they way chickens and pigs are treated but unfortunately I will always be a carnivore....=) I just think that food animals could be more humanely slaughtered than tortured or skinned alive.....at least when they're in the wild or natural habitat they have some option of running away from their captors...

but animals were put on this earth for entertainment and nourishment....animals eat each other....sometimes cruel and painful but I guess that is nature.....its just hard to see animals cooped up in cages or pigs kicked to death or whatever, that's horrific and unnatural! just my opinon...

47. medtechv79

medtechv79 Senior Member 5+ Year Member

Apr 21, 2004
    b/c they have to make sure which microbial organism it is and identify the specific one.....so they can prescribe the RIGHT antibiotic for it....certain bacteria are susceptible only to certain antibiotics....

48. ri23

ri23 OSU CVM Class of 2011 7+ Year Member

Nov 28, 2006
    The mass consumption of antibiotics is still debated, in fact its a question that is often asked about at vet school interviews (at OSU anyway). The over-prescription of antibiotics causes problems, namely decreased efficacy, and therefore doctors try to only prescribe the proper antibiotics.

49. thomphea

thomphea 2+ Year Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Even my father said (today).. "but I have a real job, you play with animals all day."

ggrrrr...... some just don't get it.

50. Pennymare

Pennymare Ohio State Class of 2011 2+ Year Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Are all 'animal rights' supporters like PeTA? Probably not...but that's the complete ideology associated with the term 'animal rights'. It might not be fair, but that's life...we have to be willing to educate and communicate. How is someone supposed to know that you are somewhat an 'animal right'-ist, yet not? (i.e. you aren't for total emancipation of all animals and you won't bomb labs).

'Animal Rights' has been around since the late 1800's, but it has almost always been associated with the belief that humans should not be allowed to control animals' fates or profit from them. As a 'movement', that is its rough definition.

So you might share some of the 'rights' values as well as animal welfare---like maybe a belief in free-range chickens. But don't get offended when people give you a cold shoulder when you say 'animal rights' supporters.

Sorry---this personally irritates me---when people just blurt out animal rights...some may understand the differences, but a lot of people don't understand the ugly underbelly of organized animal rights groups.

51. thesonofdarwin

Sep 17, 2006
    Pennsylvania
    I'd probably go so far as to say I share most of the beliefs; however, sharing the beliefs is one thing, what means you use to make those beliefs a reality are another. I don't get offended, and I will stand up to anyone to tries to place me into a certain category. Most usually, I just laugh. Laugh at the hypocrisy. You can't get mad at them; the only option is to attempt to educate their closed mind about the differences, or just blow them off. Similarly, people love to group all animal rights groups into one category. They may share similar values, but don't go about achieving them in the same manner.

There will always be extremists in any categorical group. Take any religion, ethnicity, etc. To define such groups by these extremists is ridiculous, and I think, at least America, has become aware of what results from such behavior in the past few years.

Animal rights is not defined by bombing labs, throwing paint on fur coats, or any other form of taking values a step too far. And I feel sorry for anyone who believes it is. It's one thing to not agree that animals should have rights - then you are just disagreeing over values which there is nothing wrong with. It's something else to dislike entire groups of people based primarily (or solely) on what a few extremists do.