Perceptions of veterinary medicine that drive us nuts!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
As far as docking ears and tails, I have a knee-jerk reaction that it is bad to cause unwarranted suffering. But there is actually a good body of evidence that suggests that mouse and rat pups exposed to painful stimulae as neonates have increased pain tolerance as adults.

It's unclear if this means they perceive less pain than they might, or they perceive the same pain and it just bothers them less (although these might be the same.. sorta a metaphysical question, perhaps?)

So, it might be that there is actually a long-term benefit to painful procedures performed on young animals.

Now, i'm not saying this completely justifies it, it just might make it a little less bad..

Members don't see this ad.

But there is actually a good body of evidence that suggests that mouse and rat pups exposed to painful stimulae as neonates have increased pain tolerance as adults.

That's really interesting...where did you hear/read that? (not doubting you, I'm just curious :) )

I know there is a lot of negative/naive info directed towards us in vet med, but my overall perception is quite the opposite. When I told my fellow bio classmates they were all impressed that I got in and one of them had said 'wow, i'm gonna have a hard enough time learning about one species...' another had said how he would never be able to be a vet b/c it's just too hard and you have to know so much... he is going to be a MD instead :oops:) I guess most of the people I have talked to are in college and/or bio background so they understand better. Although yesterday I was at a friend's party and her dad said... "how many years is vet school, just two right?... Four?!? Wow, that's a lot! " And I responded with, "yes, just like medical school"

Members don't see this ad :)
I absolutely hate it when people refer to me as a "professional" student...as in: I've been in school so long that school itself has become my career. Yes, I have two degrees, and yes, I'd like another, but how is that any different from M.D.'s who pursue research/specialization? There seems to be the perception that graduate students don't have 'real' jobs. Hrmmm, when was the last time you spent 18 hours in your office, Mr. "you need to get a real job, not just go to school all day". Must be nice having that 9-5 where someone tells you what to do. Meanwhile, I'm in the lab for which I earned funding, planned an entire research project, and published the results in a high impact journal available worldwide.

I don't understand why you would be offended by being called a professional student. Attending vet school, like medical school, makes you a professional student as you are attending a professional school.

I don't understand why you would be offended by being called a professional student. Attending vet school, like medical school, makes you a professional student as you are attending a professional school.

:laugh: :smuggrin:

(my first thought as well)

Okay, you're not getting it. Not as in "this student is professional". As in "this student is making the act of going to school their profession". As in "this student would rather spend money on tuition rather than get a real job"

Hope that clears it up for you.