perceptual DAT section

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wise146

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard that a lot of people have been doing poor on this section (13-17). Has anyone else gotten bad scores because of poor monitor quality or another reason?

Members don't see this ad.

Poor monitor problem is a debatable one. I took the test in NYC location and the monitors were fine. That is until i got to the PAT angle section. It seems that was something else going there, It's like they diliberatle replaced all straight lines with many short segments to look like it's a stright line.:laugh: I am not sure if this is entirely a resolution issue. When studying for DAT I changed the resolution on my flat panel to 800x600 and fewer colors. BUt trust me it's stil looked better than on those ****ty things AADSAS calls computers. I got 17 on PAT. When studying for DAT using topscore and other, i was getting 19-21 everytime.

I was consistently getting above 20s on the Pat at Kaplan and TopScore, and then the first time I took the DAT I got a 17 on the PAT. I was completely shocked to see how different the PAT was on the real thing than on practice. The images were much smaller, and the lines extremely unclear, especially in the top-front-end section. I think that in that section, you couldn't tell if the lines were dashed or solid, making it virtually impossible. I took the test again simply because of that reason, focusing solely on the PAT and got a 20, so my advice would be to not blow off the Perceptual part if you're getting above 20s. REALLY study it no matter how easy it seems in practice!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I had three problems connected with a cube counting figure where you couldn't tell where one cube began and another ended. I made a 16 on the PAT, which could have been helped by getting those 3 problems right, especially since you should make 100% on cube counting. Also, I took too long on one section and didn't finish the test....

I think if any one who takes (audit or for credit) an
engineering drawing course, will do fantastic on PAT. OR
get help from a friend who is a Junior @ Mechanical Engineering,
Civil engineering or architecture to help towards PAT.

I was also getting 20-22 on Kaplan practice tests, and 19-21 on Topscore. I ended up with a 16 on the real PAT:(
The angle ranking was terrible since the lines were fuzzy and could not tell the difference btwn some angles.
The pattern folding part was really hard, and the figures were MUCH smaller than on the practice tests.
Also, I had problems with the hole punching part. I usually scored 100% on that part at Kaplan, but the figures on the real DAT were much smaller, and the foldings were harder.
I am currently deciding if I should retake the DAT. Right now I am getting ready to interview at UF, UNC, UConn, and U of MD. I might retake the test in February.
What do you think? Please let me know if you have advice.
Good luck to you all, and do not give up because of the PAT!
Maria:)

Maria I wouldn't take the DAT again. The perceptual won't be any easier again the 2nd time. I took the DAT twice and actually go the same poor score again so I actually hurt my chances because I am getting loads of interview anyway. Schools seem to be overlooking that score for me and the schools also know about the poor computerized version anyhow.

I agree about the engineering drawing course suggestion. It really helped me to start out with the basics of how views are constructed for the top-front-end section. This also helps for the key hole sections as you start to get mental images of 3D objects in 2D projections. There is a book I have called principles of engineering graphics that I went back to. It helps show you how to make 3 view drawings in 2D from an isometric drawing as well as constructing a 3rd view when given 2.

PAT on the real DAT is too tricky for anyone to do really good. I was getting 20's and 21's on the topscore.

On the real DAT, i scored 20. And I thought I was going to do really bad, because of the angle section, I just compared the tips, the more shaded the tip of the angle was, the smaller the angle... and so forth.

Thats where many people do bad on the PAT, and I was lucky to score 20 on that section... simply comparing tips when I couldnt compare the angle sizes.

Mo

Is there any feedback/complaint that we can file?
I mean if the angle portion is composed of all those pixel lines,
we at least should see some example in the practice booklet, right?
And also, I donno if this happens to someone else.
for one of my hold punching question, the hole is right in the middle of the four circles which annoyed me.

Though I guess I am lucky to get a 18.

Originally posted by jetjesse
I had three problems connected with a cube counting figure where you couldn't tell where one cube began and another ended.

You're the first person who had the same problem as me. The cube counting was one of my best sections of the PAT, but the real cube counting was very confusing. I could swear that some cubes looked like triangles. It was wierd.

I was scoring 20-23 on practice tests, ended up with a 18.

I got an 18 as well. Those angles are really a pain in the butt. Before I took the exam, a friend of my told me to be careful because that section is harder than any practice test. I didnt believe her. As soon as I saw the angle section, I couldnt believe that they were actually throwing that crap at us. Its really unfair to people who can get in the 20's but have to resort to getting in the teens.

Personally, my best during a practice test was a 19, so I didnt really lose out on much. But, my friend dropped a solid 5 points from the practice to the real thing. Study hard and good luck.

the same thing happened to me on the PAT as shawnone and jetjesse......in one of the cube-counting sections, i couldn't tell where one particular cube began and another one ended. It seriously reminded me of this optical illusion:

http://carcino.gen.nz/images/index.php/715bb88b/74b92948

I still ended up with a 19 on PAT which i was satisfied with but i still think that one section screwed me out of a 20/20.

Members don't see this ad :)
faulknce,
That was exactly what it felt like!!!

I just had a DAT flashback!

If someone wants to try to find it, people in this forum were talking 3 or 4 months ago (maybe more) about this issue. And someone mentioned that it is a problem with this years test and that supposedly dental schools knew about....

But ya, same happened to me, scored about 4 points lower than on any practice test.

I agree about the engineering drawing course suggestion. It really helped me to start out with the basics of how views are constructed for the top-front-end section. This also helps for the key hole sections as you start to get mental images of 3D objects in 2D projections. There is a book I have called principles of engineering graphics that I went back to. It helps show you how to make 3 view drawings in 2D from an isometric drawing as well as constructing a 3rd view when given 2.

Hmmmmmm. This is an interesting suggestion. Are there any particular engineering books you recommend for the Pat or are they all the same? I have to retake it and am looking for all the help I can get.

Do you have any engineer friend? Do you have an access to
university library? Buying books is expensive. Get some friend
to help you with how to draw Top view, Side view, Front view
etc. I think an engineer (mechanical, civil) or architect can guide
you better. If you are looking for book, look for basic engineering
drawing book. I don't have any references. But search on
www.google.com

All the best friend!

Maria I wouldn't take the DAT again. The perceptual won't be any easier again the 2nd time. I took the DAT twice and actually go the same poor score again so I actually hurt my chances because I am getting loads of interview anyway. Schools seem to be overlooking that score for me and the schools also know about the poor computerized version anyhow.

Do you really mean it ? there is still chance for dentistry even if dat score isn't so great. I want to do dentistry and learned about this exam I got really scared especially the PAT for top bottom section, keyhole feel like I don't have that architectural talent to know

Do you really mean it ? there is still chance for dentistry even if dat score isn't so great. I want to do dentistry and learned about this exam I got really scared especially the PAT for top bottom section, keyhole feel like I don't have that architectural talent to know
and I am doing great at school my average 97% so far but this DAT exam is making me nervous
You think with practice you can learn to do PAT

and I am doing great at school my average 97% so far but this DAT exam is making me nervous
You think with practice you can learn to do PAT
Yo he wrote that like 12 years ago. I doubt he is still on SDN

I was reading these posts like, omg now I've got to worry about monitor resolution? phew

This has to be the oldest resurrection I have seen in a long long time haha.

Good thing they aren't running windows XP

This has to be the oldest resurrection I have seen in a long long time haha.

Good thing they aren't running windows XP
Just think... if any of these people were heading for 6-year OMS programs, they just started practicing last year at the earliest. Really brings it home for anyone considering that route.