Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Perfectionism???

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by NubianPrincess, Jan 5, 2002.

1. NubianPrincess

NubianPrincess Perpetually Bored

Medical Student
    Do many of you find that you have to have a perfectionist attitude towards studying and completing your assignments in order to maintain A's in you pre-med classes? Is perfectionism necessary to become a good doctor (among other things, of course)?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. megkudos

megkudos Senior Member

I find my perfectionism goes as far as that I want an A......
    I think to an extent perfectionism is a good quality to have as a physician. Most of all you don't want to be careless because you don't want to hurt anyone!

4. AmateurChef

AmateurChef Health policy consultant

Is perfectionism necessary, in regards to grades? I hope not. I don't have a stellar academic record, and I know a lot of premeds who didn't either. But they're just grades, and we all know there are a lot of reasons why they're not necessarily accurate -- illness, family problems, trying a new subject, extracurriculars, etc.

But to aspire to excellence? Sure. I think an important aspect of medicine is that we continually re-examine the world in which we live and the health threats we face. No one is perfect (and, in fact, believing that you're near-perfect can really hurt you when you realize that it's impossible to be a perfect physician, or spend as much time as you should with each patient, etc.), but keeping things in perspective and aspiring to do our best is what we should aim for.
    :) :)

5. UCLA2000

Attending Physician
    I wouldn't go so far as to say that perfectionism is a necessary trait for premeds. However, I would say that a strong work ethic, and determination are necessary.

I've met alot of anal premeds at UCLA...people who score a 97 on a regular basis, and argue with the instructor in order to try and raise their grades. These people are anal, and they are perfectionists. Let's face it, they have PROBLEMS.

I know a girl who scored a 36 on the MCAT (ALL DOUBLE DIGITS) and wants to retake it. I told her she was nucking futs.

Learn this motto and you'll live a happier life: "work hard...play hard"

6. a lot of people WANT to retake the MCAT, but usually dont because they know statistics show they may not significantly raise their scores provided they put forth a decent effort the first time. Very few people "top out" on MCAT day with the best they could have scored on every portion of the test. I think we all say we could have studied this a little more, or done a few more practice materials of that, but I think this girl may just feel the same "I probably could have done(a little/or a lot) better" feeling that we all do. Unless shes told you shes definitely taking it over...errr..shes prob a perfectionist

7. actually, i think one brave man on this board took the mcat after getting a 34 and beat the odds and test day anxiety (with so much to lose wouldn't you be nervous) to get a 36. this man is brave, this man is a risk-taker, this man is my hero....

8. kutastha

kutastha 2K Member
    Physician

Attending Physician

9. first, i'm impressed you even found And read this thread kutastha, and were the first to reply to my comment. madd props for showing up, baby! secondly, anybody who nuts on the aamc the way you did Deserves to be somebody's role model! plastic boxers or not---good creamin.
    Kutastha Lives!!!