perfectly inelastic vs. inelastic collisions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

badasshairday

Vascular and Interventional Radiology
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For some reason I always thought there were two types of inelastic collisions. Perfect and not perfect collisions. I thought that the perfectly inelastic collisions conserved Kinetic Energy as well as momentum while the normal inelastic collisions only conserved momentum but not energy.

What say you?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have it backwards. elastic conserve energy and inelastic loses energy

For some reason I always thought there were two types of inelastic collisions. Perfect and not perfect collisions. I thought that the perfectly inelastic collisions conserved Kinetic Energy as well as momentum while the normal inelastic collisions only conserved momentum but not energy.

What say you?

both inelastic types do not conserve kinetic energy.

only perfectly inelastic types stick together.

that's it.

Members don't see this ad :)
the MCAT usually asks about perfectly inelastic collisions which do NOT conserve energy but DO conserve momentum-which is how they ask questions.

Elastic- Energy and Momentum conserved
Inelastic- just Momentum

All the replies above are correct: all inelastic collisions involve a loss of KE. I'll add, however, that perfectly inelastic collision -- those after which the objects stick together -- produce the maximum possible loss of KE (consistent with conservation of momentum).