Performing male GU exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

M&L

Moderator Emeritus
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone have any advice on how to get comfortable with male GU exam? we have a training session with an SP tomorrow (THE FIRST EVER SESSION), and i feel weird about it. Maybe it is because i am female, not sure. I know i need to get comfortable with it, because it is a very important part of health assessment, but the idea of examining private parts of the pts body feels invasive to me (i come from a very conservative family, where i would feel uncomfortable even wearing a bikini in front of my family). Has anyone else had problems with this before? how did you wrap your mind around it?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone have any advice on how to get comfortable with male GU exam? we have a training session with an SP tomorrow (THE FIRST EVER SESSION), and i feel weird about it. Maybe it is because i am female, not sure. I know i need to get comfortable with it, because it is a very important part of health assessment, but the idea of examining private parts of the pts body feels invasive to me (i come from a very conservative family, where i would feel uncomfortable even wearing a bikini in front of my family). Has anyone else had problems with this before? how did you wrap your mind around it?

I suppose an "easier said than done" sort of situation - but the key here is sort of removing those more conservative shackles about the body. Can begin by acknowledging it's just a body, everyone has genitalia, and treating it as any other body part. This will allow you to perform a more thorough exam for the betterment of the health of your patients.

Certainly easier said than done though I'm sure, I'm very physically liberal so can't really speak for the other end of the spectrum.

Also just remember - these SPs have done this 100s of times, they genuinely don't care and wont be embarrassed in the slightest. What you may consider embarasisng doesn't necessarily phase other people, and the SPs signing up for these sort of exams are certainly those other people.

Reactions: 2 users
Trust me don't worry about it. These SPs that teach the GU exams (both male and female) aren't like your regular SPs (at least not at our institution where they hire these specially trained SPs). They know that you are nervous, afraid, uncomfortable, etc. They are pros at this. They'll walk you through everything step by step. Everyone feels weird about it. It's funny when you're not allowed to joke, but the SP starts cracking jokes when you're knuckle deep in their rectum lol

Also, chances are (by either state law or hospital/school rule), you will not be alone in the room with the SP. There should always be a chaperone during sensitive exams (much more emphasized for female patients). So it'll be a bonding experience for you all lol

My only pieces of advice is: to be considerate, don't make jokes (usually a defense mechanism by certain students when they're nervous), and really pay attention to the technique and clinical implications. Chances are this is the only time you may do it really before you're on the wards and the Urologist or OB/GYN resident says "you're doing this prostate (or pelvic) exam." and you really don't want to be the person that thinks "uuuh actually I never paid attention when they taught us..." You'll be boss if you go "Sure, lemme grab a chaperone and we can do this sh**" (Honestly the attitude between the first and second is such a consistent difference between a so-so student and a goddamn Honors baller).

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Trust me don't worry about it. These SPs that teach the GU exams (both male and female) aren't like your regular SPs (at least not at our institution where they hire these specially trained SPs). They know that you are nervous, afraid, uncomfortable, etc. They are pros at this. They'll walk you through everything step by step. Everyone feels weird about it. It's funny when you're not allowed to joke, but the SP starts cracking jokes when you're knuckle deep in their rectum lol

Also, chances are (by either state law or hospital/school rule), you will not be alone in the room with the SP. There should always be a chaperone during sensitive exams (much more emphasized for female patients). So it'll be a bonding experience for you all lol

My only pieces of advice is: to be considerate, don't make jokes (usually a defense mechanism by certain students when they're nervous), and really pay attention to the technique and clinical implications. Chances are this is the only time you may do it really before you're on the wards and the Urologist or OB/GYN resident says "you're doing this prostate (or pelvic) exam." and you really don't want to be the person that thinks "uuuh actually I never paid attention when they taught us..." You'll be boss if you go "Sure, lemme grab a chaperone and we can do this sh**" (Honestly the attitude between the first and second is such a consistent difference between a so-so student and a goddamn Honors baller).
this is a great point. I think that if i mentally focus on learning so that i can help actual pts vs on the mentally uncomfortable part of it, i will be ok. thank you!!!!

I’d be more worried if you didn’t feel weird about messing around with a stranger’s junk for the first time. It’s fine, this is why you’re in school, to learn.

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
Had an SP literally eat lunch while I did her breast and pelvic exam. These people barely know you’re there.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Had an SP literally eat lunch while I did her breast and pelvic exam. These people barely know you’re there.

The male SPs at my school definitely knew students were there, as evidenced by their grins. It didn't help that our secretaries all but told us these guys definitely get something out of it.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
When I workded as a tech in an ED, we had a patient with priapism come in. The "scare" tactic with a big needle didn't work. Sticking a smaller needle in the corpus cavernosum was not very successful. So... with the needle in, the doc asked me to "milk it."

Morale - don't overthink it. You'll be fine.

• Wow
I remember during med school during our female pelvic some of the male students were physically shaking. you will be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
i would try to focus on the individual parts of the GU exam that you have to check off along the way. this can help divert attention and make the process a bit more mechanistic.

• Love
I’d be more worried if you didn’t feel weird about messing around with a stranger’s junk for the first time. It’s fine, this is why you’re in school, to learn.
i literally spit my tea out reading this. hahahahahha

Members don't see this ad :)
i would try to focus on the individual parts of the GU exam that you have to check off along the way. this can help divert attention and make the process a bit more mechanistic.
oh this is a great practical tip!! love it! i think it might work for me.

Reactions: 1 users
These exams will always be a little awkward at our age, especially on the opposite gender just due to the nature of the exams (everyone under 30 likes to giggle for some reason). During placement you'll get a lot more comfortable as you witness more of these exams and don't worry most of the docs will give you 'good' patients to perform these exams on in your early years.

As others have said think about it from a medical/professional point of view. Initially I would cut down on the small talk if your nervous and just get straight to the point and once you get comfortable then you can work on your 'social' bedside manner pre and post examination.

This might be too late to help you but I would recommend you don't go first. The first person that does it takes the longest because the SP will stop at each step to explain what's going on to the rest of the group while your hand is on their junk.

Everyone in my group knew this except this poor country girl who just wanted to get it over with.... hopefully that wasn't you yesterday. ;)

• Haha
While practicing on a plastic model the week before the actual SP GU exam, I had my index finger deep in the rectum palpating the prostate. I was also practicing what I would say upon finishing. Inadvertently, I said, "Okay, sir. I'm going to pull out now."

The instructor immediately corrected me and said, "Please don't say that. Say 'withdraw.'"

TLDR: Don't say pull-out.

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
Guarantee it won’t be weirder than my first male genital SP: the guy asked me out afterwards. True story (ewww!)

• Wow
  • Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Guarantee it won’t be weirder than my first male genital SP: the guy asked me out afterwards. True story (ewww!)

LOL. Mine handed out "his card" that said "Male Genital Model" with his contact information. Lets just say that in addition to being an incredibly awkward experience every other guy in the room probably felt horribly inadequate.

• Haha
ok, feel like i should update everyone:))). i think everything went really well. Surprisingly, it didnt feel like a big deal at all!!!!! for anyone who would be reading this in the future - trust me, you are overthinking this.

Also, i actually think ill shadow urology!!!

ok, feel like i should update everyone:))). i think everything went really well. Surprisingly, it didnt feel like a big deal at all!!!!! for anyone who would be reading this in the future - trust me, you are overthinking this.

Your poor SP, must be genetic

• Haha

Yeah I figured this would be the update. Everyone in my school was nervous about ours too, and everyone walked out saying it was fine and not weird at all.

Honestly, the SPs at our school were great. Made it super easy and less stressful than iI thought it would be going into it.

That said, if you have a bf/fiance/husband, I would honestly try to practice on him if you want to feel a bit more comfortable. This sounds ridiculous, but as a guy, I definitely practiced on my gf at the time, the non-invasive stuff that is.

Honestly, the SPs at our school were great. Made it super easy and less stressful than iI thought it would be going into it.

That said, if you have a bf/fiance/husband, I would honestly try to practice on him if you want to feel a bit more comfortable. This sounds ridiculous, but as a guy, I definitely practiced on my gf at the time, the non-invasive stuff that is.
I wouldnt want my gf checking my prostate or anyone for that matter...

• Haha
Just focus on the clinical parts and what you’re looking for: enlarged, nodular prostate, phimosis, lesions etc. it shouldn’t be any different that doing a heart lung exam where you’re using a mental checklist (as someone above said)