Peri-op oral hypoglycemics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted697535

For elective cases what do you guys do with these?
There's about 8 approved classes now afaik...

Hold them all? Continue or decr dose?

Or be fancy and only hold the ones that can cause hypos but continue the rest that prevent hypers ?(eg metformin, glitazones)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
For elective cases what do you guys do with these?
There's about 8 approved classes now afaik...

Hold them all? Continue or decr dose?

Or be fancy and only hold the ones that can cause hypos but continue the rest that prevent hypers ?(eg metformin, glitazones)

I hear you. It has gotten rather confusing with all of the newer brand names out there. We, currently only hold metformin due to what seems (upon delving) like academic dogma relative to LA.... We should probably revisit our policy.

What does everyone do about metformin out of curiosity?

By the time I see them in holding it’s too late. If really concerned get a finger stick intraop. Decadron for PONV also can help prevent hypoglycemia;)

Reactions: 1 user
By the time I see them in holding it’s too late. If really concerned get a finger stick intraop. Decadron for PONV also can help prevent hypoglycemia;)

Seems like the PSH model isn't being applied correctly...tsk tsk

I hear you. It has gotten rather confusing with all of the newer brand names out there. We, currently only hold metformin due to what seems (upon delving) like academic dogma relative to LA.... We should probably revisit our policy.

keep taking

I would only stop if they have some renal dysfunction because I believe that's the population that gets lactic acidosis