Perio Specialty Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

perio09

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a 3rd year Canadian student interested in applying to the perio specialty in the states. I have just started looking, so don't really know much. Here are my questions:
1. Which schools have good perio program?
2. My GPA is ~3.7 and my part 1 board score is only average. What is my possibility of getting into a perio program? (I possibly will redo part 1 exam since I don't think it is very competitive.)
Any other information that can help is appreciated as well. Thank you in advance for the help I can get.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I am a 3rd year Canadian student interested in applying to the perio specialty in the states. I have just started looking, so don't really know much. Here are my questions:
1. Which schools have good perio program?
2. My GPA is ~3.7 and my part 1 board score is only average. What is my possibility of getting into a perio program? (I possibly will redo part 1 exam since I don't think it is very competitive.)
Any other information that can help is appreciated as well. Thank you in advance for the help I can get.

I would check out the AAP website http://www.perio.org/education/us.html for information on which programs accept Canadian graduates. You can also glean which programs are more competitive based on the ratio of applicants to acceptances (don't know how often this is updated). Your gpa looks good enough, but class rank is more important (be at least in the top half). Most schools will grant you an interview with a mid-eighties board score although there are a few programs that want a 90 or higher. As far as which programs to apply to, it all depends on your interest. Some programs are heavier on the research requirements which may take time away from clinic and vice versa, some place more implants than others, and patient pools vary which will certainly influence how many patients you treat. I would start by e-mailing the program directors at the programs you interested in and see if its possible to get in contact with a third-year resident in each respective program. They will likely give you the most helpful (and honest) answers to your questions about that program. Hope this helps...