Peripheral MCAT comment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toejam

Terminal Student
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took my test in a high school, which is in a decent area of Los Angeles (University High if anyone else was there). I've been out of high school for 23 years and I have to say I was kind of shocked at the condition.

Briefly, the school itself was incredibly ugly and in moderate disrepair. There was graffiti everywhere, the lockers were all dented in, the bathrooms were nothing less than appaling and there was a weird odor all around. What I thought was the most pathetic thing, though, was that I was apparently in a room for either history or government and all around me was stuff that hasn't moved in decades. On the wall in front of me was a picture falling from the wall of President Clinton! And, below him there was a messy stack of pamphlets, magazines and books. Upon further inspection, the magazines were all dated from about 1992 and before. And, on the wall where all the kids could see, was 3 signs reading (roughly) "Making threats is no joke", "tell me if you want to stop smoking" and "Do not bring a weapon to school".

Man! I'm tellin' ya. I grew up in Santa Monica (near L.A.) and, while it wasn't Mayberry RFD, it wasn't anything like this! And this school is in West Los Angeles where the home prices probably have a mean of something like 450k.

Members don't see this ad.

Toejam,

I also took the MCATs at University High School and I was shocked. I feel horrible for all the students that go to school there. Someone on SDN told me that University High School had crappy bathrooms, but...wow! I was blown away. Well, hope you did well on your MCATs!

UCLA Paratrooper

Yeah, I recognize your pseudonym.

I was in the last room (TA to Z). Got to listen to some rap outside with some wannabe bangers talkin' smack. This was during the bio section when I was muttering obscenities under my breath and frequently running my hand through my sweaty hair.

Yeah, I was in the room right next to yours...389. It really sucked when all those cars with those mega exhausts would passby when I was trying to fugure out some of those damn bio answers...

UCLA Paratrooper