Peripheral Neuropathy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Dicky

Original P-I-M-P
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My father-in-law has been on Lipitor for the past 9 years now (cardiac patient), and is beginning to experience Peripheral Neuropathy, as well as peripheral edema. He is worried that the damage done is permanent. Can anyone shed some light on the subject, and if it is reversible, what is the suggested course of action?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Members don't see this ad.

i can't find anything linking lipitor with those symptoms. is your father-in-law diabetic? that would be a much more common cause of peripheral neuropathy as well as being linked with cardiac disease. the edema would be more likely from CHF.

Peripheral neuropathy is a not-entirely-uncommon side effect of atorvastatin/Lipitor, but I don't know if it is dose-related or to what extent it subsides when treatment is stopped.

Either way, it should probably be discussed with the physician that initiated treatment in the first place. Sorry to have to bail on you like that, but "talk to the doctor" is always sound advice... :)