Perks of working in the industry with MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jae9970

Freshman Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so biotech companies hire many MDs for research, or any other positions.. why would people who went through many years of medical training with high tuitions want to go into the industry instead of working in the academia or practicing, seeing patients?

what perks do those industrial companies offer to MDs or DOs to attract them to the positions?

high salary??

Members don't see this ad.

so biotech companies hire many MDs for research, or any other positions.. why would people who went through many years of medical training with high tuitions want to go into the industry instead of working in the academia or practicing, seeing patients?

what perks do those industrial companies offer to MDs or DOs to attract them to the positions?

high salary??

high salary, good health insurances, good hours, no malpractice lawsuits etc... there are a variety of reasons. Also most people with a pure MD degree will not do research.. That what the phDs are for. They tend to end up overseeing clinical trials and the like.

what are some other perks?

what are some negative aspects?\

is it highly competitive to get hired in the industry?

Members don't see this ad :)
maybe you don't have to do a residency?? mm...if that's the case it's starting to sound like a pretty sweet gig

maybe you don't have to do a residency?? mm...if that's the case it's starting to sound like a pretty sweet gig

People who go this route still usually do a year of residency to "keep the door open" in case they ever decide to return to practice. (At least that's what the couple of people I know who did this were strongly advised to do).

I think a lot of folks don't tend to move to industry for the perqs as much as they decide that working with patients is not what they want to do. You can make more money in some industries, but are more subject to market forces (esp layoffs), and there are many routes into industry that don't involve 4 years of professional school and $200k in debt. So if you are a premed just starting out and deciding you might like industry, I would think long and hard as to whether you even need an MD/DO to get to your target job. In most cases the answer is going to be no.

If these jobs were so great, why aren't more people doing them?

These corporate jobs probably pay about $100,000. You can make out better in Family Practice.

Of course there are those who earn more, but you'll find that climbing the corporate ladder is tough as about 20,000 other people at your firm are also vying for the position of CEO.

For a moment I thought you meant Hollywood's entertainment industry, lol...
Apparently there are quite a few Docs who are also actors/comedians/whatever, which I find pretty hilarious (especially when they also play doctors on TV/movies).

Anyways, if you just want money there's also Wall Street, since they also need people who can properly evaluate biotech and whatnot.

"Who's speaking?" "Sol.... Sol Rosenberg" Priceless. :)

Apologies for the tangent.

are you just using the same avatar as jota jota or were you him?