Permanent resident/greencard holder with foreign bachelor's degree.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ErgoMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really want to go to medical school here in the US. I got my BS-Biology degree from a foreign country. I got my transcripts evaluated by WES and it says there that the University where I got my undergraduate degree was regionally accredited and the degree was equivalent to a US bachelor's degree.

It says in most of the US medical school website that international students must have studied for at least one year at an accredited college or university in the United States, Canada, or the United Kingdom prior to applying for admission.

I contacted several medical school to clarify this because I am not sure if they would want me to repeat all the prerequisites, or if I should just take upper division level courses. The answers were mixed, some of the medical school admissions people does not really know the answer to this. I can tell that they have not encountered a lot of cases like mine, so they too don't really know what I should do, or if I am really eligible to apply. That is why I wonder if they just say such things in their website to encourage application, that is, to earn more money. But they really have no intention of accepting applicants like me.

I am currently enrolled in a post bacc program. I should not be considered an international student because I have a permanent resident status/greencard. But having a bachelor's degree from outside the US complicates my status. As for the expenses for medical school I do not intend to apply for any scholarship or financial aid, I am saying this because I want to know if your capability to pay for your own tuition affects your chances (in a positive way of course, especially now that America is not as wealthy as it used to be) of acceptance, espcially in cases like mine.

What do you guys think I should do? What are my chances.I already finish one semester and now I am starting a new semester. This should be my last semester, because 2 semester would suffice the requirement for applicants like myself.

I would really appreciate your feedback.

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately, this is an issue that varies school to school. It will depend on whether AMCAS is able to appropriately quantify your GPA based on foreign transcripts and each school's perspective on the foreign degree.

If you got mixed answers I'd try to pursue the matter after April a little further with each school you want to apply to (schools are done interviewing so they're less busy).

Some schools may be fine with your degree and current post-bacc. Some schools may ask you to reach a certain number of credit hours at an accredited US school.

I read from AMCAS website that they do not accept foreign transcripts. I emailed them to clarify how to submit my foreign coursework.

thank you nontradfogie:)