Permanent resident question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aalphabravoo

Reaction score
Hello, I am a foreigner and I want to join an us med school. I wanted to know if it’s better for an application to be a permanent resident, even if the degree earned is not American.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I am a foreigner and I want to join an us med school. I wanted to know if it’s better for an application to be a permanent resident, even if the degree earned is not American.

1) Yes, your odds of gaining admission to a US med school would be higher if you are a permanent resident/ US citizen.
2) You will likely need to complete prerequisite coursework at a US institution.

Reactions: 1 user
1) Yes, your odds of gaining admission to a US med school would be higher if you are a permanent resident/ US citizen.
2) You will likely need to complete prerequisite coursework at a US institution.

I second @bluepeony
As an international you will be :
1. Competing against other international students as they are generally in their own pool
2. Requirements are often higher as seats are limited
3. Not all school consider intl students, especially at public institutions
4. If you do get accepted, you will have to demonstrate that you have the means to fund your education. Sometimes on a YoY basis or the entire tuition up front. Maybe take out a line of credit.

If you have the option later on to apply as a permanent resident, that would be less difficult.
Even still, there are lots of resources out there for intl students wanting to apply to med school. There are also good threads on sdn I believe.

Best of luck OP!