Permanent Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

limetree6

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard some schools distinguish between PRs and US citizens.
Is this really true?

Members don't see this ad.

limetree6 said:
I've heard some schools distinguish between PRs and US citizens.
Is this really true?
I don't think it is generally true. However, some schools might have a different approach regarding that matter.

Denn said:
I don't think it is generally true. However, some schools might have a different approach regarding that matter.

Pretty sure not, but I was asked duirng one interview (probably an illegal question) of whether I plan on staying in the U.S. and get my citizenship...I'll be qualified to apply this June, but still, I don't think that was a fair question since I'm interested in international health, so who knows where that might take me.

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as I know, this is not true. For the purpose of med school application, PR = US citizen. I was asked to send a copy of my greencard by almost all the schools I applied to, but nobody ever asked me about citizenship.

KiKat37 said:
As far as I know, this is not true. For the purpose of med school application, PR = US citizen. I was asked to send a copy of my greencard by almost all the schools I applied to, but nobody ever asked me about citizenship.

Yeah I was asked to send a copy of GC by most of the schools and the schools that didn't ask...I sent it anyway....

I don't think most schools will differentiate between PR and citizen...it never came up in any of the interviews or otherwise.....

My foreign undergrad was an issue for Mayo but never my PR status