Personal Appearance a Factor in Admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RUNX1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have noticed that the vast majority of med students are tall and good looking. Rarely do I see any short med students. Does personal appearance factor into the admission committee's decision? What if someone is genuine, has an excellent application, etc but just looks plain ugly? Does that person have any shot at higher tier med schools, let alone any lower tier ones?

Members don't see this ad.

No. Only 7's and above get accepted. Maybe 6's if their LizzyM is >75

Like everything else in the world, good looking people have an advantage. Their first impression is naturally going to be better (first meaning the first instant you lay eyes on them). Also, attractive people tend to be more confident in themselves so they're predisposed to having better interview skills. Being 'ugly' isn't held against you but you don't have built in tipping factors based on your appearance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Personal appearance always factors in every selection process, whether intentional or not.

The cards may be stacked a bit against some people, but confidence and professional appearance will go a long way (along with a competitive app of course). Looks won't keep someone out of med school.

What's the issue with short? are short and attractive mutually exclusive?

Well I never noticed that when I visited medical schools. Hmm just another reason to apply

I heard most med school girls are 4s or 5s. 7s at best.

Obviously looks don't matter THAT much.

Justin-Biber-April-Fools-hoax.jpg

People who have this personal appearance may see themselves at a very disadvantaged status in applying to Med school.

most med students are ugly virgins, so u got nothin to worry about

Members don't see this ad :)
I find I am most attractive to gay men and women over 50. Anyone know any schools where I'm likely to be interviewed by either of the above?

If this is true, how is it there are so many ugly doctors?

If you are well built and attractive def apply to med schools in the states.

If you're a bit on the homely side, Ross is always an alternative.

good luck in all your endeavors!

....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... I don't know whos trolling who any more.

Justin-Biber-April-Fools-hoax.jpg

People who have this personal appearance may see themselves at a very disadvantaged status in applying to Med school.

I dunno...that kid has made a crapload of money from putting videos of himself on YouTube. He pretty much did the whole American Dream thing: Do what you love so well that people notice and pay you millions for it. Wouldn't look too bad to an adcom (though he's Canadian, so that wouldn't help him!)

The reason the adcoms have that picture in the interview room is so that, if they suspect the interviewee of being a crazy Bieber fan, they can show it to her. If she screams in excitement, she's rejected automatically. ;)

I heard most med school girls are 4s or 5s. 7s at best.

Obviously looks don't matter THAT much.

I feel like there is lots of good looking med students at my school

I really hope so. This is the reason why I only applied to schools that ask for a picture of the applicant in their secondaries.

I happen to know that there is an extra column during your review process that ranks your personal looks (PL) in a similar manner as one of the MCAT subcategories; this would be a score from 1-15. This is why some schools require you to send in a picture. The true comprehensive score (TCS) is your MCAT score plus whatever the 2 or 3 reviewers score your picture--totaling up to 60 instead of 45.

I happen to know that there is an extra column during your review process that ranks your personal looks (PL) in a similar manner as one of the MCAT subcategories; this would be a score from 1-15. This is why some schools require you to send in a picture. The true comprehensive score (TCS) is your MCAT score plus whatever the 2 or 3 reviewers score your picture--totaling up to 60 instead of 45.

in before someone actually believes you :laugh:

What's the issue with short? are short and attractive mutually exclusive?

For men, yes. You're a woman, don't pretend you find shorter men attractive over taller men. I'm a pretty average looking guy, but any girl who ever hits on me always brings up my height (6'3"ish) as the first thing. I'm especially cognizant of this because I used to be really short (5'5"ish) in high school and all of my female friends used to pity me over it