Personal, difficult feedback secondary topics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nilu123

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
The secondary prompt is "Give an example of personal feedback in the last few years that was difficult to receive. How did you respond?" Which would make a better response to this prompt?

1. I tutored two sisters back to back. I spent more time with one of them because she needed a lot more help than the other with learning to read. The other complained I was being unfair, so I gave equal time from then on, and found another way to give the other sister extra support.

2. After my mother passed away, my relatives told me I needed to stop being so busy to distract myself and take some time to grieve, process, and be with the family.

3. My first few manuscripts were rejected, but by learning from peer reviewers', mentors', editors', and collaborators' critical feedback, I managed to get a few papers published. (My main hesitation with this one is that the school doesn't care much about research.)

Members don't see this ad.

1 does not really seem like difficult feedback to receive. 2 seems like a very challenging situation but the feedback may not have been. I think 3 is the strongest of those but have you not had any other critiques of your performance?

Reactions: 1 user
The secondary prompt is "Give an example of personal feedback in the last few years that was difficult to receive. How did you respond?" Which would make a better response to this prompt?

1. I tutored two sisters back to back. I spent more time with one of them because she needed a lot more help than the other with learning to read. The other complained I was being unfair, so I gave equal time from then on, and found another way to give the other sister extra support.

2. After my mother passed away, my relatives told me I needed to stop being so busy to distract myself and take some time to grieve, process, and be with the family.

3. My first few manuscripts were rejected, but by learning from peer reviewers', mentors', editors', and collaborators' critical feedback, I managed to get a few papers published. (My main hesitation with this one is that the school doesn't care much about research.)
2 all the way.

1 is too trivial

3 would telegraph that you don't have a life outside academics. And I doubt that people told that your MS was bad (or worse). It sounds like you're confusing the rejection with the feedback. That would be even worse!

Reactions: 1 user