Personal Dilemma!!! Urgent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mamma dentist

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok guys! here it goes! I am 26 yr old mother of one child, really wanted to get into med school bad, took MCATs twice, stuck at 28. Don't want to take it again but also did not want to waste my year applying and getting a rejection and then rethinking what else to do.
I decided that since my love lies in the health care field, i try dentistry, so am planning to take DAT end of june, in the meantime i wanted to see if i could get admission with my MCAT score, but i just realized today that in the texas application there is one application that goes to both medical and dental schools, I am so confused and frustrated as to how can I write a single personal statement applicable to both Has anyone else done this before. Please help. Any kind of suggestions will be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you are trying too hard. My suggestion would be to just stick with one profession. There are 3 d-schools in TX, and I don't know how many med schools, but what I am saying is that your options are plenty. It is upto you to pick a path and stay with it. If you wanna go for med, just make your application stronger and more appealing. Think from the depth of your heart as to why you want to pursue medicine OR dentistry and write that in your PS. Make them wanna call you for an interview. Hope this helps!

Ok guys! here it goes! I am 26 yr old mother of one child, really wanted to get into med school bad, took MCATs twice, stuck at 28. Don't want to take it again but also did not want to waste my year applying and getting a rejection and then rethinking what else to do.
I decided that since my love lies in the health care field, i try dentistry, so am planning to take DAT end of june, in the meantime i wanted to see if i could get admission with my MCAT score, but i just realized today that in the texas application there is one application that goes to both medical and dental schools, I am so confused and frustrated as to how can I write a single personal statement applicable to both Has anyone else done this before. Please help. Any kind of suggestions will be appreciated.
well i hate to tell ya hunny but thats the last thing we need in dental school is another female who "decided to try" dentistry! Are you just wanting to be called doctor??? go to chiropractic school if thats the case! dont take someones seat that really wants it, because its obvious you dont!

for starters, no dental school that i know of accepts mcats. as for just wanting to get into either dentistry or medicine, you really need to focus on one. If you dont, it will definitely come back to haunt you during the interviews and when you are writing your personal statement. they will see through all the fluff you made up to get into dentistry. Also, it is no easier getting into dental school than med school, so you should not consider it as a back up, there are only 55 dental schools in the country. Like the poster above stated choose one that you are really passionate about and just focus on it. It is better than realizing a few years down you chose the wrong profession just because you wanted to be a doctor of some sort.

Also, the DAT is not similar to MCAT, studying for the DAt is a whole other beast. Medicine seems to be what you want, so take the MCAT again, what makes you feel that you will be better prepared for the DAT?

you need to make up your mind.

Members don't see this ad :)
Study hard and kill the MCAT then your set. Apply medical, it is what you really want.

I would like to thank everyone for their input-----------first of all in my defense, I did not decide to take the DAT all of a sudden, since I myself do not want to practice a profession that will not make me happy. I have been shadowing a dentist for the last 8 months. The reason I shadowed primarily was to see if I would like this profession. And, to my amazement I did. Additionally, I don't think i will just be stealing someone elses seat since I will be putting in as much hard work as someone else. I don't know if anyone of you know out there, how difficult it is to be working, taking care of a child and studying simultaneouly.
I am not holding a grudge against anyone, but I just wanted to give my side of the story, and yes I am definetly going to look into the option of just choosing one and sticking to it.
Thanks everyone.

I would like to thank everyone for their input-----------first of all in my defense, I did not decide to take the DAT all of a sudden, since I myself do not want to practice a profession that will not make me happy. I have been shadowing a dentist for the last 8 months. The reason I shadowed primarily was to see if I would like this profession. And, to my amazement I did. Additionally, I don't think i will just be stealing someone elses seat since I will be putting in as much hard work as someone else. I don't know if anyone of you know out there, how difficult it is to be working, taking care of a child and studying simultaneouly.
I am not holding a grudge against anyone, but I just wanted to give my side of the story, and yes I am definetly going to look into the option of just choosing one and sticking to it.
Thanks everyone.

It took 8 months to decide you like dentistry?

Hello mamma dentist, I don't know but it seems like you are running away from Medicine because it looks too difficult. Dentistry is just as challenging as Medicine, it is not a plan B if medicine does not work. I am aspiring to become an Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon which means I will need to complete 4 years of Dental school and then go on to do 6 years of Medical residency, that is not something you do as a plan B. I have a passion for Dentistry and I think most of us pre-dents do. If you took mcat twice and you "really wanted to get in to med school bad" then it looks like medicine is where your passion is. I wish you the best but don't pick Dentistry because you think it may be easier than Medicine because it is NOT.

Mamma dentist, are you a Texas resident? If not you just use the AADSAS instead of the TMDSAS. There is only one personal statement on that application because it is assumed that the applicant is only applying to one professional school or the other per cycle.

Thanks everyone.

It is something commendable of getting 28 on MCAT is this situation. I would say if you feel like doing dentistry then by all means GO FOR IT. Try your level best and everything will work out.

Yes I'm sure you're the first person to ever be multitasking trying to get into a professional school. I'm sorry but the sympathy card just won't cut it, at least with me and many other people on these boards. It won't work especially if your a "former" med applicant. We all are fighting for limited spots, and when someone comes on here and says how dentistry all of a sudden revolutionized their world at the age of 26, it seems a little ridiculous. Many of us (at least myself) have been on this path since childhood.

Wow man, how can you be so discouraging and stone-hearted? Well, definitely you are a perfectionist and is very much expected from a 4.0 student. Looking at your attitude, i am happy not being a 4.0
Gluck to you in the future.

It took 8 months to decide you like dentistry?

Are you suggesting that it requires a lifetime of exposure to the field in order to determine that dentistry is what you want to devote your life to?

8 months or 8 years... what difference does it make... when you know, you know. It's her life and her choice. None of us have any idea how extensively she might have researched dentistry or shadowed during that 8 months.

Best of luck to you mama... I have tremendous respect for individuals that are in your situation. As others have said, though, just be absolutely sure that becoming a dentist is not just an alternative to your "shortcomings" in trying to become a physician.

Yes I'm sure you're the first person to ever be multitasking trying to get into a professional school. I'm sorry but the sympathy card just won't cut it, at least with me and many other people on these boards. It won't work especially if your a "former" med applicant. We all are fighting for limited spots, and when someone comes on here and says how dentistry all of a sudden revolutionized their world at the age of 26, it seems a little ridiculous. Many of us (at least myself) have been on this path since childhood.

I'd check yourself before you start dishing out the criticism. I don't know who you are or what your life experiences have been, but I'm willing to bet that you're not even out of undergrad yet, haven't even experienced the "real world" yet, and sure as hell haven't had to raise a child while simulatenously pursuing a difficult dream. So before you pass judgement, I'd challenge you to live her life for even a month before even considering yourself a little (and I stress a LITTLE) more qualified to throw the sympathy card back in someone's face.

Just because someone, who unlike you, hasn't been committed to pursuing a career in dentistry since they were able to wipe their own as*es, doesn't make their desire and conviction to pursuing dentistry any more insignificant than yours. Your statements are vindicitive of the fact that you're threatened by former pre-meds who are now pre-dents. A little insecure, Mr. 4.0? Since when does someone have to live and breathe dentistry before they're convinced that it is a career that is worth devoting their lives to? People with your "elitist" attitude flat out disgust me. I hope (for the sake of your classmates) that you mature a little bit before you get to dental school.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that she needs to be 150% sure that she's not just pursuing dentistry so that she can have "Dr." before her name, but it's apparent that she's obviously thought it out (raising a child, probably working full-time, AND finding the time to shadow is not an easy combination). Imagine how this person must feel when she's put herself out there to ask for help and advice, and she reads a post like yours?

SYMPATHY, my ignorant friend, is a virtue that I hope you learn to acquire before you begin to see patients...

My post was in no way supposed to be "elitist" and just because I have a 4.0 does not make me one. I was just stating that I see too many pre-meds come over to pre-dent mainly because they didn't cut it. I never said that she didn't desire dentistry, all I said is that it seems fishy when someone does it. Go ahead and reread my post, but I never said that she didn't have orientation or the desire to be a dentist. Second, why the criticism for being on the track to dentistry since a child, it was only a statement showing that this isn't a field you can just jump in to. Anyways, I am sorry if my post seemed cold-hearted and whatnot, but I believe that hard work and determination is the way to get into professional school, not sympathy. If she has the will to get into dental school, she will succeed. To the OP, if you do have a true desire for dentistry, you will be fine, just have your PS reflect that.

My post was in no way supposed to be "elitist" and just because I have a 4.0 does not make me one. I was just stating that I see too many pre-meds come over to pre-dent mainly because they didn't cut it. I never said that she didn't desire dentistry, all I said is that it seems fishy when someone does it. Go ahead and reread my post, but I never said that she didn't have orientation or the desire to be a dentist. Second, why the criticism for being on the track to dentistry since a child, it was only a statement showing that this isn't a field you can just jump in to. Anyways, I am sorry if my post seemed cold-hearted and whatnot, but I believe that hard work and determination is the way to get into professional school, not sympathy. If she has the will to get into dental school, she will succeed. To the OP, if you do have a true desire for dentistry, you will be fine, just have your PS reflect that.

The intentions of your original post are completely transparent to myself and evidently to others who have read this thread, so I can confidently say that I DON'T need to reread your post to understand what you were trying to insinuate.

Although you may not have intended it to be (which I don't believe), your post WAS cold-hearted - period. She wasn't using sympathy as an excuse for why she should be admitted to dentistry - you decided it was your place to label it as such. And no **** hard work and determination are the ways to get into a professional school... I think she's well aware of that, moreso than you probably are at this point in your life... then again, I'm sure you feel that all the "hardwork" you've put into maintaining a 4.0 entitles you to the opinion that "hard work and determination is the way to get into professional school".

Regardless, this thread is neither about your or me... let's end this discussion. If you want to debate this further, feel free to PM me.

Last nite, after reading some of the initial comments, I was confused, frustrated and at the bottom of the world. I could not even make myself study because I had basically given up. So all those who wrote in my defense, I am so thankful. Your comments esp. PSU SHC 414 and sajjy, thanks. It definetly takes a level of maturity to understand what it feels like to be in someone elses's shoes.
I have decided that I am not going to give up. I know that I am doing this for the rite reasons, not to have a Dr. in front of my name because that is not going to change my life in any fashion, but to be able to listen, diagnose, and treat a patient who needs care, impact their life in some way and in return change mine.

Thanks for all the support. I will post next time with my scores.

Having dentistry revolutionize one's life at 26 is nothing to be balked at. Hey, I am 31, and I am really looking forward to this new career opportunity. From where I stand, one's career interests actually evolves a lot from childhood, and the more mature you are when you make your final decision, the better it is. So let's not put down the OP for wanting to make a switch at the "ripe old" age of 26. :rolleyes:

I think a part of the anger shown by some posters here is that pre-dents really dislike the notion that dentistry is seen by some pre-meds as a fall-back option. Personally, I am not offended. It's always good to have options in life, and just because some prefer to get into dentistry after unabling to do so for Med is not a slap in the face. However, for these folks, my best advice is to think carefully about whether the change represents a true career evolution, or just a desperate move to do something. If it's the latter, that could bode for disaster in the long-term.

It is amazing to see how much is lost in translation even when it is from English to English. There are many dentists and other health professionals that start their careers later in life. No time may be too late unless, of course, we are just shy of our ss time, in which case adcoms might disagree. But eight months of shadowing to decide a profession is right, if not a record, it is a bit on the lenghty side.