F*R*I*E*N*D*S

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
Washington
Status
i joined sdn just a little bit ago b/c i found it to be very resourceful website for pre-health students so thanks everyone!

i may have to reapply for the 2006 cycle and would like to get started on my personal essay. i know that i need to change it a bit, but is there any suggestions on what i should include this time? since my last application, i haven't done anything but finish prereq's and volunteer at the dental school.

last essay i included my volunteer experiences, how dentistry fulfills what i want in a career, studying abroad.

dentist_to_be?

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2005
Status
Dentist
In your personal essay, when you answer the "why do you want to be a dentist" question, make it a genuine, yet believable answer. praise the field of dentistry, at some of my interviews, when we had group ones, I heard people say stuff like "I had to pick something, and some point when all the doors close on you.. you have to pick something..."

I personally think the best way to answer that question is to praise the field, what made you interested in dentisty, not the the road to what made you pick it. Describe the things about dentistry that appeal to you, and what it is unique about it, remember that the people who are reading your essays or at the interview are dentists themselves. They want to hear the praise about the field, and BE SPECIFIC.. . for example, certain procedures you find interesting,

dont give general answers like "i like to work with people" ...well the truth is many jobs give you that... you need to distinguish dentistry from other jobs. Make it sound unique, something you wont find if you go into medical school.

The 'why do you want to be a dentist" is a very difficult question to answer... but do it well, and make it creative, make sure you arent giving the same answers as everyone else.

Hope that helps,
Good luck!

UDM or bust

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2005
Status
you can either re-write your current essay, tweak it a little - or - you can wait a little bit and start from scratch. i reapplied and waited until the fall to even think of writing my essay. i was able to put a lot more into my essay about my new experiences and the more maturity that i had gained taking graduate classes. just be sincere - that is probably the best advice - get accepted because the school likes you and your personality, not the person you think they want.

good luck!