Personal Essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RKK

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I need some advice on what to include in my personal statement. Everyone says you should write about an experience that made you want to become a doctor and to be honest. But to tell you the truth, I don't have such an experience and I've just always wanted to be a physician. My dad is a doctor and I don't want it to seem like I'm being forced into it or anything because I'm not. Any ideas on what to write about?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Check out www.medstudent.com there are sample essays and lots of suggestions for hte pre-med/application process.

Hey RKK,
as a review of med essays (worked for admissions at my med school), I can tell you that it doesnt look bad that your experiences relate to parents as MDs. ITs more important to show that you know what life is like as an MD, and through a personal story or two (i.e. maybe a patient who you saw or that the doc your were following saw, why it stuck in your mind, what thoughts you had that made you feel like that was the future for you, etc...). Conversations with patients make good material. Or your visits to the doctor as a patient can be good material too.
you seem to know why you want to be a doctor, so state it. Explain it. Thats all they want to see. Good luck!
(check our FAQ on our website for more essay writing tips!)
John

------------------
http://doc2be.com ...Med Students reviewing Med App Essays!