Personal Hobbies - any medicine related?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anastomoses

secretly an end artery
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was reading about Chvostek and Trousseau (obvious correlation) and then got kind of sidetracked reading about Trousseau's contributions, research into yellow fever and his life and ironic death when I decided I would start compiling small profiles of those who influenced medicine - just as a hobby. Does anyone else engage in this sort of thing or other medicine related hobbies just for personal enjoyment?

And are there any particular medicine personalities which have caught your attention?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Studying for Step 1 and posting here incessantly are my only two hobbies.

Slightly off-tangent aside, but I was reading about Austin Flint a few days ago about how he despised eponyms for diseases and such. How ironic that someone decided to name the pseudo-mitral stenosis murmur secondary to aortic regurgitation as the "Austin Flint" murmur.

Reactions: 6 users
I'm a volunteer physician for a number of area high school sports teams/organizations. Maybe that counts.

Members don't see this ad :)
I post on SDN.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah I like to look up the people that have things named after them because if you're important enough to have something named after you, like starling forces, you are generally a big deal. I found out that Homer-Wright rosettes, which are associated with diseases like neuroblastoma, are named after a single dude, James Homer Wright. He and Richard Cabot are responsible for "Case Records of the Massachusetts General Hospital" which you can find in the New England Journal of Medicine.

When I was playing Path of Exile a few days back, some dude started complaining in the global chat about being orally infected with Candida albicans. Despite my abysmal Microbiology grades, I was able to advise him to see a physician and ask for fluconazole.

Despite that, I have no medicine-related hobbies.

Yeah I like to look up the people that have things named after them because if you're important enough to have something named after you, like starling forces, you are generally a big deal. I found out that Homer-Wright rosettes, which are associated with diseases like neuroblastoma, are named after a single dude, James Homer Wright. He and Richard Cabot are responsible for "Case Records of the Massachusetts General Hospital" which you can find in the New England Journal of Medicine.
Wikipedia is excellent for the buzzwords, I think.

When I was playing Path of Exile a few days back, some dude started complaining in the global chat about being orally infected with Candida albicans. Despite my abysmal Microbiology grades, I was able to advise him to see a physician and ask for fluconazole.

Despite that, I have no medicine-related hobbies.
Isn't Micro pretty much charts that you learn thru repetitition?

Yeah.

For the Pharma portion, I made my own spreadsheets for that stuff.
Sometimes hand written charts help too - they're faster and your brain is actively filtering the information. I thought Micro was relatively easy bc it was memorization that could be effectively done thru charts.

Isn't Micro pretty much charts that you learn thru repetitition?

In medical school, yup.

Experience was significantly different in undergrad (I took a lot of classes in micro)...much more molecular genetics/biochemistry/metabolism oriented. Also a lot of focus on various molecular techniques and different ways to manipulate genomes of microbes via plasmids, transposons, etc.

Most of that stuff is pretty irrelevant in a clinical context: knowing how to generate a transposon mutagenesis library to identify virulence factors doesn't really matter. More important to just know gram - diplococci = neisseria, etc. Same thing with techniques for transformations, what purple sulfur bacteria eat and how they do it, what methanogens do, etc.

Medical microbiology is a tiny subset, and if you found it interesting, you should try out the real thing. I still love micro, even though I hated the medical school bastardization.

One time when I was watching a ..... bedtime movie... I noticed a small lesion on the actor's penis that I'm pretty sure was either syphilis, chancroid, or herpes. Almost missed it, but I went back, paused, zoomed in, and I'm pretty sure that I was seeing things correctly.

I guess I don't have any strictly medicine-related hobbies, but I find ways to integrate medicine into my pre-existing ones.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I found out that Homer-Wright rosettes, which are associated with diseases like neuroblastoma
5ce12.jpg

One time when I was watching a ..... bedtime movie... I noticed a small lesion on the actor's penis that I'm pretty sure was either syphilis, chancroid, or herpes. Almost missed it, but I went back, paused, zoomed in, and I'm pretty sure that I was seeing things correctly.

I guess I don't have any strictly medicine-related hobbies, but I find ways to integrate medicine into my pre-existing ones.
Herpes is the common cold of the "bedtime movie" industry.

Can we make a Like - but w/some reservations button?

Slightly off-tangent aside, but I was reading about Austin Flint a few days ago about how he despised eponyms for diseases and such.
He had such strong feelings about it? I absolutely love diseases with eponymous names. In fact just the other day, I was weighing the fairness of removing Wegener's name from granulomatosis because of his Nazi affiliation. I mean...bad behavior? yes. Described the disease? yes.

Can we make a Like - but w/some reservations button?

He had such strong feelings about it? I absolutely love diseases with eponymous names. In fact just the other day, I was weighing the fairness of removing Wegener's name from granulomatosis because of his Nazi affiliation. I mean...bad behavior? yes. Described the disease? yes.

Same issue with Reiter's syndrome, now renamed to "reactive arthritis". Although both Wegener and Reiter were supporters of the Nazi movement, Reiter wrote a book about racial hygiene, and was also found guilty for war crimes committed at the Buchenwald concentration camp.

And here's the quote from Dr. Flint: “So long as signs are determined from fancied analogies, and named from these or after the person who describes them, there cannot but be obscurity and confusion.” Which I agree with. Steele-Richardson-Olszewski syndrome or progressive supranuclear palsy? Which is easier to remember the characteristics of the disease?

Same issue with Reiter's syndrome, now renamed to "reactive arthritis". Although both Wegener and Reiter were supporters of the Nazi movement, Reiter wrote a book about racial hygiene, and was also found guilty for war crimes committed at the Buchenwald concentration camp.

And here's the quote from Dr. Flint: “So long as signs are determined from fancied analogies, and named from these or after the person who describes them, there cannot but be obscurity and confusion.” Which I agree with. Steele-Richardson-Olszewski syndrome or progressive supranuclear palsy? Which is easier to remember the characteristics of the disease?

lol agreed. Pathologists name everything after food and cardiologists name everything after each other. It's so annoying to remember random names instead of descriptive ones.

I like to barbeque.

I've found that instead of injecting a whole pig with your marinade straight into the muscle you can do a better job by finding the descending aorta and pumping it in there. Last time I tried it I lost a lot of fluid in the body cavity so I'm going to first cauterize the branches off of it where the organs were removed.

I like to barbeque.

I've found that instead of injecting a whole pig with your marinade straight into the muscle you can do a better job by finding the descending aorta and pumping it in there. Last time I tried it I lost a lot of fluid in the body cavity so I'm going to first cauterize the branches off of it where the organs were removed.
wtf? haha.

I was reading about Chvostek and Trousseau (obvious correlation) and then got kind of sidetracked reading about Trousseau's contributions, research into yellow fever and his life and ironic death when I decided I would start compiling small profiles of those who influenced medicine - just as a hobby. Does anyone else engage in this sort of thing or other medicine related hobbies just for personal enjoyment?

And are there any particular medicine personalities which have caught your attention?
I've been a consultant for the motion picture and television for over thirty years. It's a riot.

I still love micro, even though I hated the medical school bastardization.

You must love Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple and Picmonic.

I think Jean-Martin Charcot is a pretty cool guy. Eh has 15+ eponyms named after him and doesn't afraid of anything.

I like to barbeque.

We discussed a controversial method in which we would cannulate a pig, put it on bypass and then replace their blood volume with barbecue.

I like to barbeque.

We discussed a controversial method in which we would cannulate a pig, put it on bypass and then replace their blood volume with barbecue.
:wtf:

Although always the philosophy of science and biographies/historical characters (in medicine, public health or science in general) have drawn my attention, it is just very recently that I started, like yourself, to write small synopses or copy stuff (to evernote) that I find interesting from websites or book I am reading/read. I also wish I had taken a logic and/or philosophy class in college...

Last edited:
I also wish I had taken a logic and/or philosophy class in college...

See my sig.

A primer in critical thinking/reasoning wouldn't cost you more than a weekend or two of reading. I can recommend the two I'm working through now if interested.

See my sig.

A primer in critical thinking/reasoning wouldn't cost you more than a weekend or two of reading. I can recommend the two I'm working through now if interested.
But apparently the best way to test critical thinking and reasoning skills is by adding more subjects and questions on the MCAT.

But apparently the best way to test critical thinking and reasoning skills is by adding more subjects and questions on the MCAT.

Indeed, instead of adding pre-reqs that teach and establish actual critical thinking and reasoning skills.

Edit:
For some reason beer = brevity, in my postings.

What I mean is, they could have added pre-reqs or sections to the MCAT that pertain to how a student thinks, instead they went for classes that pertain to what a student thinks.

See my sig.

A person can learn the basics of critical reasoning in a couple weekends but refining it/practicing it until it's second nature is another matter altogether. Like chess.

Hand me a beer.

Last edited:
A person can learn the basics of critical reasoning in a couple weekends but refining it/practicing it until it's second nature is another matter altogether. Like chess.

Hand me a beer.

Like chess, it's a worthy investment of one's time, n'est ce pas?

Almost out of beer, time for the single malt scotch.

I found William Osler was quite an interesting physician to read about.

- Basically invented medical residency and also the concept of students rounding on patients
- Founding physician of Johns Hopkins medical school
- An entire myriad of medical conditions named after him.

Some of these guys have pretty fascinating biographies.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found William Osler was quite an interesting physician to read about.

- Basically invented medical residency and also the concept of students rounding on patients
- Founding physician of Johns Hopkins medical school
- An entire myriad of medical conditions named after him.

Some of these guys have pretty fascinating biographies.

He also was a prankster and a big proponent of not taking life too seriously. He published the infamous satirical piece on "penis captivus".

See my sig.

I am interested and can devote some time now before school starts. Hit me up man.

So what are those two recommendations you have? PM if you prefer.

1. Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess
512-gKSUawL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-v3-big,TopRight,0,-55_SX278_SY278_PIkin4,BottomRight,1,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Take those two and call me in the morning.

critical thinking is overrated, you either get or you dont.

512-gKSUawL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-v3-big,TopRight,0,-55_SX278_SY278_PIkin4,BottomRight,1,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I'll read the second one. i'm a solid chess player

Thanks, I'll read it. I got my chess game down solid though.

Then let's have a game, unless you actually are merely pre-med.
So, you are up for a lesson I see. That's fine by me.
I hate to disappoint but yeah, technically I am a mere premed. I start ms1 next August

I have no idea why it is like that, I guess I meant to edit? Solid.

This new board has an annoying feature that stores any response you started to type but abandoned. Then you go to post and whatever you left behind before is still there.

See my sig.

Can I get in on this? Looking forward to having a bit more free time at the beginning of MS3 coming up.

Hm, for some reason I'm thinking you'd probably have a recommendation for an iTunesU course. Would I be right?

Sorry, got busy doing some car maintenance.

I think this book is an excellent place to start. This edition (older) in particular has the highest reviews of all the editions, I believe. It's a great primer in that it introduces the concepts, presumes little to no prior knowledge, and has questions integrated into each chapter with answers to make sure you're getting it.

51EPDp2rEML._SY300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Asking-Right-Questions-Critical-Thinking/dp/0132203049/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1400376581&sr=1-5&keywords=asking the right questions
If you get through this one and you want more let me know (I should hold off on recommending the 2nd one that I had in mind until I work through it myself). This one will keep you busy though, especially if the ideas they are presenting are new to you.

Last edited:

Can I get in on this? Looking forward to having a bit more free time at the beginning of MS3 coming up.

Dr. Paul and Dr. Elder's website is great and has many free resources. Some of their books catch flack because they seem to inject their political leanings into all of their examples of poor reasoning. I find that kind of stuff distracting so I started looking for other authors and ended up with the green book that I posted above. However, Paul/Elder are certainly fine teachers of critical thinking, as well.

http://www.criticalthinking.org