Personal LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iapyx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Many schools require a personal LOR from someone who knows you in a non academic setting. I once took a community service class in which we met once a week in class, presented an idea to help the community, and then carried out that idea later that week in the community. I feel as if the professor knows me on a very personal level, however I did receive credit and he was technically my professor. Do you think this would qualify as a non-academic personal letter or no? I appreciate your insight.

Members don't see this ad.

Any thoughts? (sorry for the bump, but its important)

Unfortunately, I don't think it would count. But maybe LizzyM can chime in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Many schools require a personal LOR from someone who knows you in a non academic setting. I once took a community service class in which we met once a week in class, presented an idea to help the community, and then carried out that idea later that week in the community. I feel as if the professor knows me on a very personal level, however I did receive credit and he was technically my professor. Do you think this would qualify as a non-academic personal letter or no? I appreciate your insight.

I'd say "no", if the letter is coming from the professor. I'm not familiar with the schools that ask for personal letters but I would imagine that they are looking for someone who knows you outside of academics... a coach, employer, religious leader, volunteer supervisor, a physician who let you shadow....

I agree with the other posters on this one. Is there someone else involved in the community service class who's not your professor (like a leader of some off-campus community organization that you worked with) who might be able to write you a good letter?

I agree with the other posters on this one. Is there someone else involved in the community service class who's not your professor (like a leader of some off-campus community organization that you worked with) who might be able to write you a good letter?

Nope. I work one on one with the professor.

I'd say "no", if the letter is coming from the professor. I'm not familiar with the schools that ask for personal letters but I would imagine that they are looking for someone who knows you outside of academics... a coach, employer, religious leader, volunteer supervisor, a physician who let you shadow....

The thing is, he is not even really a professor. He runs community service programs for the science departments and is not a phd. I know that the fact he is teaching me might exempt the LOR, but its a shame, as I think he knows me really well.... Thanks for all the responses.