[Personal] Pharm.D and Careers in Genetic Engineering/Genomic Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Manticore

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently completing my Pre-Pharm course work and just plugging around with that. I do have much interest in Pharmacy, but I also have much interest in Medical and other related fields and especially research.

I would love to attend Medical School, but I feel that it's just too competitive to get into a decent M.D School. Now, I would not mind practicing medicine, but I am more interested in the Research Side of Medicine.

I know that in the Scientific Community, Credibility and such is everything, and I worry that if I want to get into the Research Side of Science and Medicine, where I went to school would sadly effect my credibility and prestige as a Researcher and Scientist. Obviously, someone who got their M.D. and Ph.D from John Hopkins is going to seen more creditable then someone how got their M.D. from some obscure state. *

I am very passionate about the future of Science in fiends such as Genetics, Genomic Research and Genetic Engineering. To this day, I enjoy learning about how things work and why, and how we can advanced and what this means for the future of people. With Science now altering the very code of life, it is something that will have profound implications in the future, and I want to be someone that will construct the foundation for the world of tomorrow. I would love to be able to change a few genes and that person no longer has to worried about Cystic Fibrosis, a certain kind of cancer, improved bone density, improved sigh, a new eye color and even improved intellectual capabilities. Perhaps that sounds something another 1,000 years away, but I want to begin work to make those things possible for your children, and even you.

Really, I am worried that my Pharm.D will prevent me from going into these Science Fields, and that I should try and get into Medical School to ensure m future.

Thank you.

* Please note, I do not attend for any disrespectful comments. It too, upsets me that sometimes, it matters "where" you went to school and not what you know.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there,

Wow, that's a really interesting question really...

I think you really should be focusing on schools which offer a combination of Pharm.D and Ph.D, because I don't really think a Pharm.D is suited for pure research like you're interested in doing. There are a lot of things that are not in the curricula of pharmacy schools that you will learn in Ph.D programs. For example, Pharmacy schools do not teach you how to do Chi-square in statistics, something very crucial in research, and that's just one example.

The Pharm.D will say to prospective employers, "I know everything there is to know about pharmaceuticals" and the Ph.D will say "I know everything there is to know about the application and development of pharmaceuticals in a more hypothetical, academic-oriented way."

*sigh* It's difficult because there is no steadfast, 100% correct answer here. It's entirely possible that a Pharm.D from UCSF would get you the job of your dreams (UCSF is a renowned school for its research track, and there are others also). It definitely sounds like you aren't interested in even compounding or nuclear pharmacy, but are really into research and development. It is, for this reason, that I think at the very least a Ph.D should be your focus. Like I said before, there are schools that offer you a Pharm.D/Ph.D combination. This would be ideal for you.

You didn't give us any indication of your academic pedigree but I'll have to assume since you're shooting for such lofty goals that you've got the credentials to get started on it.

Just my 20 Euro.

Why don't you do a Ph.D in something like Biochemistry? Couldn't you still do research in the medical field that way, and not have to go to medical school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there,

Wow, that's a really interesting question really...

I think you really should be focusing on schools which offer a combination of Pharm.D and Ph.D, because I don't really think a Pharm.D is suited for pure research like you're interested in doing. There are a lot of things that are not in the curricula of pharmacy schools that you will learn in Ph.D programs. For example, Pharmacy schools do not teach you how to do Chi-square in statistics, something very crucial in research, and that's just one example.

The Pharm.D will say to prospective employers, "I know everything there is to know about pharmaceuticals" and the Ph.D will say "I know everything there is to know about the application and development of pharmaceuticals in a more hypothetical, academic-oriented way."

*sigh* It's difficult because there is no steadfast, 100% correct answer here. It's entirely possible that a Pharm.D from UCSF would get you the job of your dreams (UCSF is a renowned school for its research track, and there are others also). It definitely sounds like you aren't interested in even compounding or nuclear pharmacy, but are really into research and development. It is, for this reason, that I think at the very least a Ph.D should be your focus. Like I said before, there are schools that offer you a Pharm.D/Ph.D combination. This would be ideal for you.

You didn't give us any indication of your academic pedigree but I'll have to assume since you're shooting for such lofty goals that you've got the credentials to get started on it.

Just my 20 Euro.

Thank you for your comment, Passion4Sci.

I agree what you have to say what people will think when I say I have a Pharm.D or a Ph.D. I am also aware that UCSF is much more research based then other Universities. However, what worries me is that I am not some Academic Prodigy or International Scholar, but I do view myself as an Academic and do wish to peruse a career in academia such as research.

I do like to help people, and this is why I wanted to become a Doctor, but I just don't want to 'treat' people when they are bound to die and ensure pain and other discomforts. I feel there is no reason anyone should ensure pain of illness and diseases; and because of this, I want to devote my life to the research and development of such to prevent such pain. I am a decent student, 3.9 GPA, good work habits and the passion to explore and learn, but perhaps that is not enough to reach for what I want.

Hm, maybe something's lost in translation here but I don't see how a 3.9 GPA can be anything other than fantastically amazing. It certainly isn't "decent."

Can you elaborate on how you have a 3.9 GPA but don't consider yourself an excellent student? I am confused.

Why do you even want the PharmD in the first place? It sounds like what you want is a PhD. With stats like what you have, you'll have no problem getting into a good school. And, with grad school, it matters less what school you go to and more who you work with, anyway.

Take it from someone who's less than two weeks away defending her PhD thesis... unless you really want to do something clinical and have patients, you probably want to go the PhD route.

OP, I think you need to pursue MD/Ph.D - with such great gpa, you should have a shot at an amazing school.

OP, I think you need to pursue MD/Ph.D - with such great gpa, you should have a shot at an amazing school.
My thoughts exactly. It would seem to me that such a course would satisfy your research goals. If you are worried that it's "too competitive," I have news for you...almost everything is competitive.

Only do the PharmD/PhD or the MD/PhD if you really want to see patients/do something clinical. Otherwise, just do the PhD.

When it comes down to it, if you want to run a lab and do medically-based research, especially in the molecular field, it really doesn't matter what degree you have. What matters is what you've published. And whether you have grants and people to work for you.