Personal Question for those in Rad-Onc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yersinia07

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I know that SDN is no substitute for an in-the-flesh doctor or researching for myself, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask....

I am a medical student whose mother has a meningioma in the pineal region. She is not currently symptomatic. It has grown over the past few years and is projected to continue growing, so a few months ago her neurosurgeon recommended Gamma Knife treatment before it becomes too large. She was scheduled for next week but is having second thoughts and has decided to either reschedule or cancel. She personally knew someone who went through the same thing and died from cancer secondary to the radiation.

When she presents these concerns to her rad-oncologist, her doctor shirks around them, and I really cannot find any numbers one way or the other, though I will keep looking.

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with this or could point me in the right direction of finding out. Feel free to respond or PM me.

Thanks so much in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I know that SDN is no substitute for an in-the-flesh doctor or researching for myself, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask....

I am a medical student whose mother has a meningioma in the pineal region. She is not currently symptomatic. It has grown over the past few years and is projected to continue growing, so a few months ago her neurosurgeon recommended Gamma Knife treatment before it becomes too large. She was scheduled for next week but is having second thoughts and has decided to either reschedule or cancel. She personally knew someone who went through the same thing and died from cancer secondary to the radiation.

When she presents these concerns to her rad-oncologist, her doctor shirks around them, and I really cannot find any numbers one way or the other, though I will keep looking.

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with this or could point me in the right direction of finding out. Feel free to respond or PM me.

Thanks so much in advance!

I feel for you. But we can't give out medical advice on this site. And you should never give medical advice either without formally evaluating a patient in a clinical setting. That is not safe medicine. If your not happy with the care she is getting then getting a formal second opinion sounds like a really good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.