Personal Questions on Dental Secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rowjimmi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone aware of questions on secondary applications that specifically ask about misdemeanor/felony convictions? Or just prior arrests for that matter? Any information will be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure about secondaries, but these will show up on your background check once you get in.

Hi,
I was just wondering, do secondaries mean that the school is considering you, or does everyone get secondaries? Any info would be greatly appreciated...thanks.

------------------

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools ask on their secondaries about your criminal record. If you have a felony, it's probably best to check with the state to see if you are eligible for a license or not.

To further specify: Does anyone know if UConn asks questions of this sort on their secondary?

Felony convictions are the serious offenses. Misdemeanors are relatively trivial. A speeding conviction, for example, is not what they are interested in.

On of the reasons for the professional schools concern is that a felony offense may, possibly, lead to denial of licensure. The denial is not automatic, but will be considered by the licensing board in the state you want to practice in.

If you do have a felony conviction, in your own interest it is best to be up front. I knew a student who had a conviction for armed robbery with a drug involvement; he served jail time. When he applied to medical school, he told them about it. He also had a very supporting letter from the judge who sentenced him, who thought his turnaround remarkable. He is a licensed physician today, a graduate of a US medical school.