Personal Statement 5300 characters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QueenofCryptic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does the 5300 characters include spaces?

I'm almost done! Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Does reading this make any of you that may have to reapply a little depressed? (It does for me!)

yes, include space

QueenofCryptic said:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, and any hard return (where you hit enter to seperate paragraphs) counts as 2 characters.

It's best to cut and paste it into the AMCAS form because the MS Word count may still show 5290 or something (mine did) even though AMCAS says 5300. As Alexander Pink pointed out, it's the hard returns that count as two that get you.

If you cut and paste, be really sure to look and see whether the AMCAS program cut anything off the bottom. When you're close, it may do that. Then you submit without your last sentence and look like a dummy.

Proofread very carefully what is actually in AMCAS. There are always a ton of posts that "AMCAS turned my commas into some weird symbol" or something similar. Proofread very carefully, you can't fix it once it's gone.

yea, i second moose's advice about proof reading. i didn't proof mine after pasting/submitting and there ended up being a lot of format errors. it didn't end up mattering at all (i think the adcoms are used to it and don't really hold it against people - i mean, it is super screwy the way you submitt it and stuff), but it drove me crazy.

Potato! said:
Does reading this make any of you that may have to reapply a little depressed? (It does for me!)

extremely.

QueenofCryptic said:

GET OUT WHILE YOU STILL CAN! As much as you want to be a doctor, this process isn't worth it. It will tear out your soul and glue it to the door of the mailbox. You will become a shadow of your former self. You will plot the murder of a mailman that you formerly considered reasonably friendly. You will look back a year from now to a bright-eyed pre-med asking about their personal statement and resent their foolish optimism as you secretly yern for the person you used to be.

I ache with BUs rejection today. bastards.