Personal Statement and Child Abuse?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted966906

Hi everyone, so this is a subject that is very personal to me. I experienced some emotional abuse as a child due to mental illness from my parents. I describe about a particular instance incorporating both subjects into my introduction.

However, I will talk about how I overcame this, how I became a strong and compassionate person, and volunteering and work examples of when I cared for someone.

Would this be ok to address in a PS, or should I cut down on the child abuse aspects and just focus on the emotionally distant parent in my intro? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Child abuse is an emotional topic, but it is part of your experience, and part of what forged you into who you've become. Personally, I would be comfortable discussing child abuse in a personal statement, as long as it is handled delicately. I would be sure to share it with people you trust to make sure that it resonates with them. As you suggest, you want to use this topic as a vehicle to achieve the the purpose of your personal statement. That purpose is to demonstrate why you want to be a doctor, to show that you have the necessary experience to understand what you are getting into, and to show that you have the traits and experiences necessary to be a good medical student and doctor. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
It's all in the presentation. The way you describe it, I think it is ok as long as you can convince them you did overcome it, you're more empathetic, etc, etc

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone, so this is a subject that is very personal to me. I experienced some emotional abuse as a child due to mental illness from my parents. I describe about a particular instance incorporating both subjects into my introduction.

However, I will talk about how I overcame this, how I became a strong and compassionate person, and volunteering and work examples of when I cared for someone.

Would this be ok to address in a PS, or should I cut down on the child abuse aspects and just focus on the emotionally distant parent in my intro? Thanks
Very sorry to hear of this.

The PS is not for catharsis. It's about "Why Medicine?".

Your childhood woes are better fare for the secondary prompts about difficulties/challenges you have faced and overcame.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users