Personal statement character count???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorC

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the maximum number of characters allowed for the personal statement? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't forget that the character count includes spaces and hard returns count as 2 characters.

Members don't see this ad :)
How many essays are there on the AMCAS? Only the personal statement, or others as well?

whats a hard return anyway? for example , heres a sample from my Personal statement

want to go to medical school
take me take me

(lets say that was 50 characters)

Then how many characters is this? 50 + 2 for a break?
want to go to medical school

take me take me

Now lets say i divided this up into two paragraphs. The only way to do it is by leaving a space or do we indent? How many characters does an empty line cost? and how many characters would an indent (if possible) cost?

my experience is that you can't do indents unless you bring them in from notepad, where they cost "1"
a hard return is just pressing "enter" on your keyboard, and it costs "2"
leaving an extra line should cost you an extra "2" and thus a total of "4" from the end of your previous sentence to the start of your tab for your next one.

SanDiegoSOD said:
How many essays are there on the AMCAS? Only the personal statement, or others as well?

just 1; apparently they used to have a vision statement, but that is gone and in some secondaries i think