personal statement for mph programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sgilani

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi all

i know many of you wonderful people have pursued or are currently in the middle of an mph program. i am currently applying to programs and i have a question about my personal statement:
are schools going to look negatively upon me saying that i want to eventually go to medical schools? do schools think of this is someone getting an mph just to help them get into medical school?

your thoughts are appreciated...

Members don't see this ad.

most certainly not. I am currently in a MPH program and applying to med school, it is not looked down upon. In, I see it only as a positive because you are exposed to areas of study in a MPH program that will only make you better doctor. Such as understanding how diseases are dispersed in populations, how to study the movement and spead of disease, and how to critically read and studies and published materials...etc. hope this helps.

all the MPHers at JHU that want to attend med school that I know about put stuff about how they want the MPH program to be a stepping stone for Med School, and they were accepted. So state what you beleive in, and you'll be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I should add a caveat to what XCR says.

I'm relativly confident that there are nearly no MPH candidates at JHU that use it as a "stepping stone" since hopkins doesnt reallly accept non-professionals into its MPH program. He's referring to the MHS programs ("baby MPH") Mostly one year, and often geared towards providing a stepping stone to medical school. If you're interested in those, look into the MHS programs in Reproductive Biology or Microbiology and Immunology. The tracts are similar, and they directors of those programs specifically target medical school hopefuls.

When I applied to public health school, I became aware that certain programs would frown on people that are using the degree to get into medical school since the some disciplines aren't very related to medicine, and it would be a waste of resources to train a public health professional that has no intention of using that degree.

However, there are also certain programs that are known to be a pre-MD stepping stone. I'd refer to the Infectious Disease MPH program that I was in at UC Berkeley. There were about 18 people in the program, and I'd say more than half are going to medical school. And the school knows this.

The bottom line is to do your research. I would argue against blatantly saying in your statments that you want to go to medical school. Lets say there are two equal applicants. One seriously wants to go into public health and one wants to use the degree to get into medical school. which student would the school take?

Originally posted by XCanadianRagwee
all the MPHers at JHU that want to attend med school that I know about put stuff about how they want the MPH program to be a stepping stone for Med School, and they were accepted. So state what you beleive in, and you'll be fine.

Originally posted by exmike
I should add a caveat to what XCR says.

I'm relativly confident that there are nearly no MPH candidates at JHU that use it as a "stepping stone" since hopkins doesnt reallly accept non-professionals into its MPH program. He's referring to the MHS programs ("baby MPH")

Do you know what you are talking about?!? I know since I have friends that are in the MPH and MHS program (myself included).

Good grief, back up your statements people. I'm not saying everyone in JHUs MPH program is planning on attending med school, but the MPHers that I know AND plan on attending med school said in their PS's that they woudl like to get a MPH as a "stepping stone" for med school.

I sure do know what I'm talking about buddy. The majority of pre-meds AREN'T professionals (i.e. two or more years of professional work experience) and thus an MPH at hopkins isn't an option for them. That was all I meant.

And I did say the MHS is definitely seen as a stepping stone.

You should give people all the facts. People need to be fully informed. I didn't want people to be under the impression that you can just waltz into a hopkins MPH. It doesn't work that way and you know that.

Do you know what you are talking about?!? I know since I have friends that are in the MPH and MHS program (myself included).

Good grief, back up your statements people. I'm not saying everyone in JHUs MPH program is planning on attending med school, but the MPHers that I know AND plan on attending med school said in their PS's that they woudl like to get a MPH as a "stepping stone" for med school.

Originally posted by exmike
I sure do know what I'm talking about buddy. The majority of pre-meds AREN'T professionals (i.e. two or more years of professional work experience) and thus an MPH at hopkins isn't an option for them. That was all I meant.

AHHHHH HAAA!!! I got it now buddy boy. Yes you do need the experience, but you can still say you want to go to med school eventually.

I apologize since I'm not nearly as smart nor brilliant nor providing 100% of the facts to the uninformed citizens of SDN. I will never speak about such programs nor give any help on this board for I am truly an idiot and speak no sense. Forgive me people for all the misinformation I have provided. May your days be brighter and stars shine shinier without my presense on here.

Thank you.

Carry on....

Good. :D

AHHHHH HAAA!!! I got it now buddy boy. Yes you do need the experience, but you can still say you want to go to med school eventually.

I apologize since I'm not nearly as smart nor brilliant nor providing 100% of the facts to the uninformed citizens of SDN. I will never speak about such programs nor give any help on this board for I am truly an idiot and speak no sense. Forgive me people for all the misinformation I have provided. May your days be brighter and stars shine shinier without my presense on here.

Thank you.

Carry on....

I was cautious about mentioning my desire to eventually go to medical school, and I'm glad I was. Of those in my MPH class that I knew well, less than 10% were thinking about medical school (other than the MD/MPH students and the MDs who getting their MPH, obviously). I think the best bet is to make a good case for you getting the MPH, and leaving your MD aspirations out. If I were on an admissions committee for a 2-year MPH program I would be a bit hesitant about somebody who I thought might want to jump ship after the first year. In fact, I remember when I was applying after my first year of my MPH that Med. Col. of Wisconsin specifically requested a program from my dean stating that he knew and supported my application.

thanks guys for your help thus far. does anyone know of any 1.5 year mph programs by any chance

unless you can start the program early, 1.5 years vs. 2 years makes no difference for admissions IMO.

i don't think the ms programs at harvard look upon you too favorably if you say you are using it as a stepping stone to med school. they are looking for hard core researchers. a few each year end up applying to med school, but for the most part the people there are not using it is a stepping stone to an md (maybe a phd/ds/drph but not an md).
i think it is different at most schools though.

I can definitely tell u that the University of Michigan does NOT like that!!! Told to me by the guy in charge. They dont want to be seen as just that, so try not to mention it if applyin to them.

Originally posted by lotanna
I can definitely tell u that the University of Michigan does NOT like that!!! Told to me by the guy in charge. They dont want to be seen as just that, so try not to mention it if applyin to them.

As a graduate of Michigan's Public Health Program, I wholeheartedly agree! Michigan takes their public health business quite seriously! When I did my personal statement, I did not mention my interest in medicine, but focused more on public health. I don't think that you should necessarily say that getting a MPH is a "stepping stone" per se... the program that you apply to and your background and personal interests will most likely show that you are interested in and plan on a career in medicine. Having said that, be honest in your personal statement, and if you must, emphasize your true interest in the intersection between public health and medicine and how you will benefit from being a public health clinician.

H&T MPH ('02), CHES, Future Doc :cool: