Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Personal Statement for Osteopathic Schools

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by vietcongs, Oct 11, 2000.

1. vietcongs

vietcongs Senior Member

I'm applying to both allopathic and osteopathic schools and I dont have a strong personal statement for osteopathic schools..if any of you have already done your personal statements, could you give me any ideas or suggestions on where to go with my personal statement...should I talk about my life and personal goals?..I need a strong motivation for pursuing osteopathic medicine, any ideas, I would be very grateful. Thanks!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Batman

Batman Junior Member

hmmm, you might want to prepare yourself to get reamed out for that last sentence. I'm not even gonna touch it.

4. dolly

dolly Member

Prepare your osteopathic statement in the same manner that you prepared your allopathic statement. As a future health care professional, your motives should be the same for both schools.

5. Cobragirl

Cobragirl Hoohaa helper ;)

Resident [Any Field]
    I agree with Dolly...your motives should be the same....especially since DO's are equivalent to MD's. If you're one of the people out there that thinks that DO schools are somehow inferior to the MD schools, you might want to consider whether you're going to be able to stand FEELING inferior after you become a DO. Personally, I don't think there is any difference between the two, other than the philosophy that written on paper. The DO's I've been around have told me 1. They don't have time to do OMT in today's HMO world and 2. Most MD's approach medicine holistically now anyway. The differences that used to draw the line between the two schools of thought have been erased by modern society and technology. However, for some MD's there is still some sort of elistist attitude that they are somehow more qualified...maybe it's the (generally)lower DO entrance requirements...but I think that if you are truly interested in medicine, it really shouldn't matter which road you choose. Good Luck!