Personal Statement in Secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arb

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If your personal statement has components that answers questions in secondary applications, is it bad form to copy and paste?

Members don't see this ad.

Arb said:
If your personal statement has components that answers questions in secondary applications, is it bad form to copy and paste?

Well Loyola allows you to say "please refer to my AMCAS" when your personal statement answers one of their secondary prompts. But unless a school says its ok I wouldn't copy it word for word necessarily. What I have done is use a few key sentences from my AMCAS and incorporated them into new but very similar essays.

When I did my AMCAS, I felt like there was a lot I had to omit in order to fit the 5300 character constraint. So just take those old ideas and elaborate on them in a new essay rather than copy and paste.

Then again, easier said than done. This whole process of expanding old essays or shortening other essays for different secondaries is almost as frustrating as having to start from scratch and writing new ones. :thumbdown:

Arb said:

No. Just let them know that you are doing just that before you provide your response.

I don't think they care.. as long as you can answer the prompt adequately. In fact, I'm almost certain of this because they will appreciate anything that will cut their reading time.

Whatever the case, ask if you are unsure.