Personal Statement length

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Any suggestions on length of personal statement on secondaries? Two full pages too much? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Ask yourself this question...If I had 500 personal statements to read, would I want to read 1000 pages of personal statement? Most schools had a limit if I recall correctly...it's best to stick to it. If there is not a limit keep it short but sweet.

Good luck

Here's the gold standard: one page, single-spaced, no font smaller than 12. If you find that this doesn't allow enough space, shrink it down to 10 but don't DARE go lower.
smile.gif

Tim of New York City.

There is no magic number. Basic idea here is to keep it to the point. Don't ramble. Mine was roughly 3 pages at 11 or 12 font (i can't remember). However, I jammed about 5 years of my life into it. The schools want to learn about you from these essays. If you can do it in 1 page at 12 font, that's great. If not just keep it under 3(max) 2 is probably optimal. Once again their looking for quality not quantity. Also, if you ask me, never ever single space unless you absolutely have to. When the committees go through your essay they highlight stuff, put comments in the margins. If you single space, then they have no room to work.

------------------
DocGibby
MSUCOM class of 2004

[This message has been edited by DocGibby (edited 10-30-1999).]