Personal Statement - Mention COVID or no?

JustSomeRandomGuy

5+ Year Member
Sep 9, 2016
  1. Post Doc
    I’m re-working my PS and, of course, want to put an emphasis on Fam Med as that is where I see the largest need in my state as I apply to schools here (and relatively close). I also have a good friend who is a Fam Med guy and watching him care for his patients and seeing the amount of trust they placed in his opinion during this whole COVID thing has been fascinating to watch and has even more strongly cemented my desire to practice medicine (whether as a DO or MD, doesn’t really matter to me).

So my question is this: is mentioning the things I saw during COVID and the impact they had on my decision to continue toward medicine a good idea or that going to quickly become a trite viewpoint that AdComs will grow sick of?

Any help/comments/ideas are greatly appreciated!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
    D

deleted896822

If it’s something that really impacted you that you think you can talk a lot about then sure.
      I wouldn’t put it if it’s just something to add.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user

GreenDuck12

7+ Year Member
      Mar 30, 2014
      1. Medical Student
        I don’t think there is anything wrong with discussing the coronavirus and how you see it impacting your community. However, I wouldn’t use it as a big part of your personal statement because it is such a recent event that presumably you were interested in pursuing medicine before the pandemic. You mentioned the trust that you saw patients place in the doctor. One thing to be keep in mind is you don’t want to come across as the “person who wants the power” dynamic which is common in many essays. Instead, try to transition to how you want to empower your patients to make informed decisions about their own health and the health of their family, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
        About the Ads
        This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.