This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

htcj3802

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't think it would have been wrong to fudge/obscure the details a little more but the likelihood of anybody actually identifying these patients based on what you've said here is slim, and plenty of applicants include stuff like this in essays with no complaints from adcoms. Nothing to stress about.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't think it would have been wrong to fudge/obscure the details a little more but the likelihood of anybody actually identifying these patients based on what you've said here is slim, and plenty of applicants include stuff like this in essays with no complaints from adcoms. Nothing to stress about.
Thank you for your input! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
If the disease is very common, then it is unlikely that the niece will recognize herself when she reads the essay but stranger things have happened. Still, it is a stretch to say that it is a violation of HIPAA or anything to lose sleep over.

Reactions: 2 users
If the disease is very common, then it is unlikely that the niece will recognize herself when she reads the essay but stranger things have happened. Still, it is a stretch to say that it is a violation of HIPAA or anything to lose sleep over.
Thank you for the reassurance, helps a lot with the anxiety! :)

Reactions: 1 user
na

Last edited:
Would it look more unprofessional than storytelling if I included a name? I put a patient's name to make it more personal and "show" instead of "tell" I and the patient presented to the ED with a possible wrist fracture too so I didn't think it was anything super serious.
I think most would assume that you have used a pseudonym if you included a patient's name in an essay (which you should, but if for some reason you didn't, it's unlikely that anyone reading the essay would know the difference). You can always put it in quotes or say "a patient who I'll call _" or something to that effect to make it explicit that it's not the patient's real name, but I don't think it's strictly necessary.

Reactions: 1 user