personal statement on AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aviary17

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I know this is a dumb question, but please tell me the answer because I am totally serious. Is the "personal statement" everyone talks about referring to the essay required on AMCAS? Or is the ps part of secondary applications? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

The Personal Statement is the essay you write on the AMCAS application (primary) usually about why you want to be a doctor. Other essays will be requested on the secondaries you receive later from each school.

Do all secondaries have additional essays to write? Approximately what percentage have essays? And how many typically?

Members don't see this ad :)
No, there are a few schools that do not require essays. The vast majority do, however. Three essays is typical. Five is rare. There's at least one requiring more than that.

No, there are a few schools that do not require essays. The vast majority do, however. Three essays is typical. Five is rare. There's at least one requiring more than that.

3 is more of an exception, rather than a rule. Most schools I applied to required 1-2 additional essays. Very few required more than that.

3 is more of an exception, rather than a rule. Most schools I applied to required 1-2 additional essays. Very few required more than that.

One secondary I filled out at 20 additional essays, though they were all 500 characters or less, so not so bad.

One secondary I filled out at 20 additional essays, though they were all 500 characters or less, so not so bad.

20?!?!?! I thought Duke had the most for MD programs, and if I remember correctly they have "only" 7-8 additional essays.

I don't think questions like "Has one of your relatives attended this University? If so, who?" count as an essay question...

The good thing is if the essays tend to repeat themselves and if you do enough of them, you'll have a database of mini essays you can use to send in with the secondaries. I think by the time I had done my 10th secondary, I didn't really have to write any more essays--I could just copy and paste essays I had written for other schools.

Hi. I know this is a dumb question, but please tell me the answer because I am totally serious. Is the "personal statement" everyone talks about referring to the essay required on AMCAS? Or is the ps part of secondary applications? Thank you.
amcas