cadotstudent

2+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2016
Status
Pre-Occupational Therapy
Hi There,

I'm currently completing my OTCAS application and have a question regarding the personal essay.
Because my undergraduate degree GPA was non-competitive, I went back to school to raise my GPA. I was able to earn at least an A for all my post-baccalaureate courses. Unfortunately, in my undergraduate transcript I also received a very low grade for one of my courses which I repeated and was able to do much better. My question is whether I should explain the low grade and lower undergraduate GPA in my personal essay. Does this depend on the school?

Thanks.

RUNNING_OT

2+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
opportuneot.wordpress.com
Status
Occupational Therapist
Hi There,

I'm currently completing my OTCAS application and have a question regarding the personal essay.
Because my undergraduate degree GPA was non-competitive, I went back to school to raise my GPA. I was able to earn at least an A for all my post-baccalaureate courses. Unfortunately, in my undergraduate transcript I also received a very low grade for one of my courses which I repeated and was able to do much better. My question is whether I should explain the low grade and lower undergraduate GPA in my personal essay. Does this depend on the school?

Thanks.
You can explain it but try to turn it into a positive experience. Talk about how you became a better student and what you learned about yourself. Try not to give excuses, just make it an experience that you grew from to show you are serious about your studies. :)

Also, some programs sometimes have an section under their questions or supplemental essay asking if your grades truly reflect who you are as a student and if you got low grades at what point what would you like the admissions committee to know regarding that.

Hope this helps!
Good luck!

Reactions: justinr1372