personal statement predicament

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sweet Tea

Girl Next Door
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most books/sources I've consulted have said to steer clear of including anything about religion in your personal statement. However, my main activity in college was centered on my campus ministry group and there's no way I can explain who I am and my motivations for becoming a physician without discussing the role my faith and my campus group had in shaping me. I am able to discuss the role witout getting into too much detail, but I feel it's something that I need to talk about in my PS.

Any suggestions, guys? Am I effectively killing myself by discussing the role of religion in my life? Or should I discuss it because it IS so important to me?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If religion is important in your life and has affected your decision to pursue medicine, it is imperative that you discuss this in your personal statement. Although it might be possible that this will be looked upon unfavourably by a small group of admissions committee members (and I think there is only a small chance of that), you probably would not feel comfortable going to a school at which they might judge your competency as a medical student by your religious beliefs...so let them reject you.

In short, if it is important to you, definitely discuss the role religion takes in your life.

My school is non-secular but still a ton of religious people go here. I read the sample personal statements in the premed office and almost all of them were about religion. I thought it was weird, but people still do it. If it's a big part of your life, I think it's ok to write about it. Just try not to be preachy and be very personal instead. :)