Personal Statement Professional Critique resources

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SiR99

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I searched but did not find what I was looking for.

My school has PS critique sessions but they fill up very quickly and I do not even know how useful they will be.

I think I remember hearing that there are websites or a companies or something like that where you send/email your Personal statement and someone involved in medicine reads your personal statement and helps you with it. I also remember something like you email it and a Harvard english graduate student which helps you make it look more professional?? I dont know, but i remember something like this.

I dont mind paying for help but I want it to be from a professional involved in the process, do any of you know of anything like this?

Also, is it okay to point out a weakness in your PS and then show/explain how you have overcame it and what you have learned? Or should I completely leave any mention of the word "weakness" out of my PS.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys I searched but did not find what I was looking for.

My school has PS critique sessions but they fill up very quickly and I do not even know how useful they will be.

I think I remember hearing that there are websites or a companies or something like that where you send/email your Personal statement and someone involved in medicine reads your personal statement and helps you with it. I also remember something like you email it and a Harvard english graduate student which helps you make it look more professional?? I dont know, but i remember something like this.

I dont mind paying for help but I want it to be from a professional involved in the process, do any of you know of anything like this?

Also, is it okay to point out a weakness in your PS and then show/explain how you have overcame it and what you have learned? Or should I completely leave any mention of the word "weakness" out of my PS.
Right. Many threads on this topic can be found on SDN. It might help if you use a query for the company name.

My take is that while it costs a bit of money and all my peers on here will argue that SDN is a better source of critical readers, I still think these companies have value.

You want to make sure that your essay is done and as polished as you can make it before you give it to a company to streamline it. My previous personal statement came out much more succinct and my message was highlighted even more after it came back from the editor.

That said, I won't be using the service again simply because I don't want to pay for it again. To those who say that SDN is everything you need, that'd be true if the SDN readers weren't swamped. I volunteered as one before and let me tell you, you get pounded with personal statements. Many won't reply because their lives get hectic and those who do reply may not give valuable feedback.

If you have English or other writing majors, have them take a look to polish your PS for you.

As for addressing weaknesses in a PS, you can do it. Just don't put it in such negative terms. I think most people have a development theme to their PS which shows growth and maturation. While it shows progression from a weakness, they also try to use better words.