Personal statement question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drgas

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
Does anyone know if there is a limit on the length of the ERAS personal statement? It seems that the website allows any length. If this is so, what is the recommended number of words for an essay? Thanks and goodluck to all!

Members don't see this ad.

there is definitely a limit. i am not sure of the exact number of words but it is supposed to be equivalent to one typed page, single spaced, 10 font. i think i remember reading somewhere it was about 750 words.

The limit is something ridiculous- thousands of words. But,
that would be a BIG no no. Most people I talk to say keep it
under a page, single-spaced, Times New Roman. You can go
longer if you need to, but you run the risk of boring your audience. It seems that most programs use the personal statement as a screen for psychopathology anyway, so as long as it's decent, you're fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't remember exactly if there was a max set by ERAS itself, but my personal statement was approximately a page and a half. I kept it pretty concise and I didn't think it was too long, but one person commented that it was a little long.

I'd suggest from that you definitely keep it under 2 pages and if you can, keep it down to one page.

I've finished my personal statement for my application for anesthesiology. do i have to write another personal statement for my application for a prelim year in medicine?