skyblue2000

10+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Two questions regarding the personal statement:

1) patient names: If I say "Jane" the first time I use the name, can I proceed just saying Jane from that point forward (without the quotes after the first time).

2) Abbreviations in personal statements: eg. DKA for diabetic ketoacidosis or SLE for systemic Lupus erythematous. I had them spelled out originally but my advisor changed it to DKA and SLE. Any feedback? I thought abbreviations wouldnt be ok?
Oh I also have HbA1c in there too...

Last edited:
OP
S

skyblue2000

10+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2009
Status
Medical Student
That's what I figured, just didn't know how formal these essays really had to be.
Is specifying a patient's name is quotes the first time and then continuing to use the name without quotes ok as well?

Doctor Bob

EM/CC
10+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2009
Orlando
Status
Attending Physician
That's what I figured, just didn't know how formal these essays really had to be.
Is specifying a patient's name is quotes the first time and then continuing to use the name without quotes ok as well?
That's fine.
Look, we aren't english professors. We aren't poring over your essay with a Chicago Manual of Style on the desk next to us circling errors with a red pen. Just spell everything correctly, demonstrate mastery of 6th grade grammar, and that's good enough.

22031 Alum

At the baby factory.
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
Yes, you're fine not using quotes every time. I've also seen people stick a "(name changed)" after their first use of the pseudonym. It's not a big deal.